1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canton Movie CD 2.22 + CD 100s Opinions Please

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by rrc, Nov 9, 2004.

1. rrc

rrc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I am in the process of buying a new system to accompany my Pioneer 505HDE Plasma display. I have practically decided on the Pioneer AX5Ai receiver and need some 7.1 speakers to match.

I would like them low profile, but sound quality and effect is important. I will be mostly using them for movies but on occasion will use for music. I was originally thinking of getting the Kef eggs but then I realized I don't really like the look of them all that much.

My old system used B&W 602 speakers in a 5.1 setup.

I've heard that the Cantons are a good solution, I have seen them in the flesh and I like their look. But I have not listened to them, so I’m hoping for some opinions about weather these are seriously worth buying and would they be a good match for the AX5Ai. They pretty much cover my whole speaker budget.

I was proposing:

Canton Movie CD 2.22 5.1 system with an extra pair of CD 100s for the rears to make 7.1.

The sub I will upgrade at a later date to a Rel or similar. So the sub quality isn’t a concern.

Many thanks

rrc

2. KHCC

KHCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Mornin'

We have that setup in demo room 1, and is very very good for the money. The CD100's you can run full range on a modest system but as soon crank them up you do need to set the speakers to small, especially on the AX5i (I myself have this amp) I would set the Xover point at 80Hz normally but 50Hz for listening to music as you get a nice punch from them.

All I can say is, out of all of the speakers you mention the Cantons are the best for that setup. The Genies, as good as they are won't handle the power as well, plus get a little bright on music and when they are pushed. The kef's have no punch and although the sub goes deep there is nothing in between.

Go for the Cantons as you won't be disappointed. Remember, the Cantons need a good 150Hrs of running in due to the metal drivers.

Regards

3. rrc

rrc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Hayes, I think I'm going to take your advice and buy the Cantons. Good to hear that you use that setup in one of your demo rooms. That reassures me that you guys are confident that this is a decent system match. :clap:

4. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hayes, how would you say the CD100s compare with Mordaunt-Shorts 914s? I know they're not quite the same price range but I've heard the 914s and like them.

I'm currently planning on using MS914s as fronts with a MS309 sub...would the sound be much improved by going up to the CD2.22 package? I'm also wondering about the Wharefdale 9 floorstanders but haven't heard them.

My main reason for the 914s was that I like their sound stereo music, are the CD100s good musically?

5. KHCC

KHCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Mornin'

It's a shame that you're not local, you could come and have a demonstration of the setup you are looking at. Obviously I don't know what your budget is, but subwoofer wise the Canton's intergrate with the Velodyne SPL 8 or 10 mkII incredibly well, although the Canton subs are very good, I tend to favour dedicated manufacturers of Subwoofers, and for size, price, output and sound quality you would be hard pushed to beat the SPL range of Velodyne. If budget doesn't allow, think about it for a future upgrade and then put the Canton sub at the back of the room on the rear speakers :thumbsup: :eek:

Anyway just something for you to think about.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    CD100 are a lovely pair of speakers but rcc why not go for the CD4.25 system? adding suitable effects speakers either CD50 or perhaps even CD360F if wall mounting? CD4.125 includes 2 pairs of CD100, and the Top end CD300 are well worth a listen if budget will allow and you are after good stereo performance in a larger room

7. rrc

rrc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For price reasons, I was thinking the 2.22 plus CD100. Here in Sweden, the cheapest 2.22 package + CD100 costs slightly less than the 4.22 package. So I figured that this would give me the same set of speakers plus CD25s (for 7.1) for a lesser price. Or am I mistaken in thinking that the 4.22 package is the same but with a pair of CD100 rather than CD25s for the rears? :confused:

I have seen the CD300s, for me they are a little too big and out of my budget incidentally. :)

rrc

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    rrc you are correct my friend

9. KHCC

KHCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Mango Bob,

The Cantons don't go as low as the MS floorstanders due to their cabinet size, but the midrange isn't as nice, the MS's are a little forward and the tweeter is bright especially when pushed. The bass, although low isn't as precise and punchy as the Cantons, which is what you need as the sub does all the low stuff, which is why the Velodyne SPL range go so well with them.

The CD100's are amazing for the money and I don't think they can be beaten in terms of all round performance. Yes their are better more musical near field monitors for the money, but then put a film through them and it would sound too polite and uninvolving. The MS sub is a cracker and the floorstanders you mention are also good for the money, my brother has the baby versions and are excellent but the Cantons are of a step above especially in build quality.

regards

10. rrc

rrc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great! Then I'd better blow that dust of my Visa card and get me some Cantons!!! :thumbsup:

Thanks for all your help guys. :smashin: