1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canton CD300 Review

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by oconnpad, Jun 29, 2005.

1. oconnpad

oconnpad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    My CD300's arrived, thanks very much Jake and his team.

Haven't really used them in anger yet but did try the darla scene, the gun in minority report and the pod race in star wars 1 just really to see the bass difference. I don't have a sub at present so i'm depending on my fronts for bass.

What i did notice is, i'd listen to films around -20db on the volume which is quite loud to me but not enough to really annoy the neighbours but since i put in the CD300 about -30db on the volume has it at the same level to my ears anyway. Once the CD300 went in i re-did the whole MCACC so not sure if that helped.

Here's some pics of CD300 versus the CD100

Attached Files:

2. Jake James

Jake James

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks great

JJ

3. rockhopper

rockhopper
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nice, so are they much better than the 100's?

4. oconnpad

oconnpad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I can hear a difference, the sound is much full-er and the bass is far deeper, you can feel the difference on the bass front and without a sub this is probably the main difference i notice.

But the CD100 are excellent and the difference between them and the CD300 in price is double, but on performance level i think the CD100 is nearer the CD300 than the price suggests.

When i got my CD100 they did take a long time to run in and i could hear them getting better and better the more films i watched and music i listened too especially stuff i know very well, so i presume the CD300's will do the same after about 150 hours of use i think they'll be much better then they are now.

5. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Would you consider the 100 to be bass light for music? I'm thinking of getting the 100 to replace my Mission 702e but am worried they might seem lightweight in comparison. I've just got the CD1-CD50 for MCH but the 702e are on output B for music and they now look way out of place.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    the CD100 which i have :D are not full range and would nee to be used with the SUB for music (preferable the AS25SC :D but hook them up to output A and run them in a 2.1 config and i dont think you will be dissapointed (unless you hear the CD300 saving Grace for my wallet but not my ears is the CD300 dont come in black :(

7. oconnpad

oconnpad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I noticed when using my CD100's as a stereo pair with no sub the bass got a bit thin at the volume got louder, it sounded like it really need the sub to help it out.
    I'm not putting down the CD100's they are an exceptional speaker and i really love them but as Hornydragon says hook up to a sub for stereo

8. Marmite

Marmite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Horny - you got any pictures of your setup? Cant decide wether to have black or silver speakers!

9. oconnpad

oconnpad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I love them in Black, if all the stuff i have was available in black i would have got it

i started of trying to get all black gear but then when it came to my amp and the CD300 they are only available in silver i changed.

10. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Gobsmacked, no other word for it. How can the CD1 and a CD50 put out such a rich full sound from such small boxes, and they're not even broken in yet.

Such a step up from what I had before which cost more.

I was going to post a thread to ask about if there are any true British owned and made speakers any more as so many have now been sold off, I have only had MS25i, Kef Coda8 and my Mission 702e. I thought I only liked the British sound, but German, wow. Now at what price could I get the CD300 for?

11. Phill_1981

Phill_1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    CD300 are about £670 I think

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    bit good arent they................................................
    CD300 are £670 !!!!! but CD100 which really Pee all over the CD10 for music are £200 ish from jake?

You will not be disapointed...............
    THe contents of my HC are highly secretive but i may post a pic black is so much better than silver but a real pain for getting kit like DVD-R and PVR i am waiting for reviews of the inverto and searching all over for a Black DVD-R having issues getting a black DVD player to replace my aging Pio for sensible money (should have bought an Arcam DV88+ when creative had them for £400)

13. AndyCCC

AndyCCC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hornydragon - if you want a black PVR you could also try the newly announced Black Pather edition Topffield - see www.toppy.org.uk for details

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    very cool thanks andy