Canton CD100

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Genesis, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Genesis

Genesis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    How musical are the Canton CD100 (with a sub ) in stereo mode. I ask this as these speakers are high on my AV system list. I recently heard them with a velodyne sub and they sounded quite harsh in stereo mode, this my have been due to the setup of the sub.I also listened to the CD300 and some Cabasse Ki's. To me the Cabasse speakers sounded warmer and more full bodied than the canton's. I am hoping this was just due to the way the system was setup as cosmetically the Canton's are just sensational.

2. johnnycab

johnnycab
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Genesis - I am hopefully going to buy a Velodyne sub in a few hours...and my CD100's arrived yesterday. I ran them in all day, and put a variety of stuff through it i.e. speech, classical/instrumental, hip-hop, dance etc. They are extremely versatile, and cope with everything without falling over. BTW - I heard them with classical music being played through them at the Bristol show.

However, so far I find they are not as bass heavy as my old Tannoy's - which is ok by me, as I will be using them(CD100) as rear speakers. They are good all-rounders and produce mid-range quite accurately, and it is just a case of running them in and tweaking the settings on the amp.

To summarise, it would depend on what you will be using these speakers for. If it is predominantly bass-heavy music - then in my opinion, you should be looking at something else.

3. Jake James

Jake James

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Do not forget, you need to run these speakers in for a minimum of 150hrs, they will totally change. Initially they can be a bit on the bright side, but once they are run in they become much smoother and the bass will deepen, coupled with a good subwoofer the 2.1 stereo sound can be absolutely amazing if you have the right setup / cables/ electronics etc.

If you are considering the CD100's then checkout the Canton subs as well as they are perfectly matched

check out the 'Canton in the UK' thread :thumbsup:

regards

JJ

4. simonrad

simonrad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi JJ
    can you give me a bit of advice, I demo'd the CD1 and wanted to see what changes I could make to the set up to improve for 2 channel music, I was told that CD50 has the same components as CD100, is this the case? if so can CD50's be used for Front L/R & Ctre? will this be an improvement for music (and movies generally), will these 2 work well with two CD10's at the rear or should all 5 be the same, how would a CD50 based system compare with the Movie 22-x II?
    thanks

5. Jake James

Jake James

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear Simonrad

You are correct, the CD50 has all the same components as the CD100, I think the crossover is slightly different because the CD50 is a closed system and the CD100 is Bass reflex system (ported) the CD50 goes down to 60Hz and the CD100 goes down to 50Hz due to it utilizing the full length of the cabinet and the fact that it is ported.

A great setup would be

5 x CD50
    or 3 x CD50 + 2 CD10

If you need further advice, PM me

regards

JJ

6. Jake James

Jake James

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry

the above solutions would be better than a Movie 22 XII

regards

JJ

7. patr1ck

patr1ck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Jake,

The Canton web site is a bit misleading.

It says:

CD50 4 x 80mm woofer (base?) and 1 x 15mm tweeter
    CD100 2 x 80mm woofer, 2 x 80mm mid-range, 1 x 15mm tweeter

Is the CD50 spec wrong?

Pat

8. simonrad

simonrad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks JJ, not many shops have these in stock to do a demo so I am trying to make a decision based on the CD1 demo, what would the advantages be of three CD50's at the front compared to CD10's also, what would the cost be?
    thanks Simonrad

9. Jake James

Jake James

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear Pat

You are right the canton website is a bit misleading.

Both the CD50 & CD100 are set up in the same way. 4x 3" drive units + 1x 15mm tweeter. All 4 Drive units act as woofers, but 2 of these 4 act as woofer and midrange. The CD100 can go lower than the CD50 because it uses the full length of the cabinet and is also ported.

Dear Simonrad

If you had 3 CD50's across the front, this would give you a fuller sound with better integration into the sub, due to the sub not having to come up as high to meet the satellites.

CD50 £88 each inc VAT & Free delivery within the UK

as always, any questions, let me know

regards

JJ

10. simonrad

simonrad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks JJ, time to have a think

11. Sheltie

Sheltie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JJ,

can you explain the factors which would decide whether you would go for a front facing or downfiring sub.

I am considering 3 CD50 for fronts and CD10's for rears, but am unsure what sub would best compliment.

I will mostly be using for dvd movies, but also for music/concert dvd's.

Thanks

12. Jake James

Jake James

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear Sheltie

I wrote a message in the 'Canton in the UK' thread, I think it is msg 10. you may find that usefull.

If you want a system that is more AV based I would go for a down firer like the Canton ASD220SC, ASD250SC or Karat AS200SC.

If you are after a more musical approach then forward firing

This is only a rule of thumb it depends on the size of room, flooring, flat or detached house etc

If you want to PM me with your details, feel free

regards

JJ