1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canton CD100 vs CD50

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by nheather, May 2, 2005.

1. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,350
    How do the Canton CD50 and CD100 compare against each other.

I expect the CD100 to have the edge but they both have the same number and size of drivers.

However, I do note that the CD50 is described as having 4x Woofer whereas the CD100 is descibed as having 2x Mid-Range and 2x Woofer.

Is the CD100 Mid-Range genuine (i.e. a different driver with its own cross-over) or is it just marketing speak.

I would go for the CD100s but practicalities are leaning towards wall mounted CD50s instead.

How much will I be missing if I go CD50 rather than CD100?

Cheers,

Nigel

2. KHCC

KHCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Mornin'

They are, in essense, the same speaker but the CD100 goes down 10Hz lower due to it's larger ported enclosure. Bare in mind though that you will be running either as a satelite and so cutting the bass at 80Hz so the difference between the frequency response, 50Hz (CD100) and 60Hz (CD50) won't make that much difference.

Regards

3. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Hayes,

so in short, are you saying the midrange of the CD100s cant touch a full size floorstanding speaker?

4. KHCC

KHCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Mornin'

Not sure what you mean? The midrange of the CD100's and the CD50 is great, two of the four mid-bass drivers are mid-range and very potent for their size and once run in are nice to listen to.

I'm not sure of the relevence of your question when I was giving the differences between the 100's and the 50 and your question of how good their mid-range is compared to a full range speaker!!!

The CD100's & CD50 are described, by the manufacturer, as full range but this is not technically correct as is trus of many manufactures like B&W, KEF etc. For instance the Kef 207 Flgship speakers that are £9000 and only play down to 40Hz!!! a speaker can only be called full range if it can reproduce frequencies down to 20Hz.

I hope this clarifies what I was going on about.

Regards

5. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry I suppose I was just asking the same question as my other thread. I am just trying to find out whether I would get a similar performance with the Canton CD100, to my current Mordaunt-Short 906 speakers.

6. KHCC

KHCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Mornin'

The fronts that you have are quite powerful in their delivery and have a very good punch due to the side driver! But the CD100's, when cut at 100Hz can go incredibly loud and sound composed at the same time. It is hard to compare the two speakers as they are very different animals, the MS 906's are big, have huge enclosures and more cone area than the, in comparison, tiny CD100's. The CD100's though carry a huge punch due to the driver type and power handling. I've put 150WRMS through the CD10 salelites and they are rated at 45WRMS!!!

The CD100 will sound very different to your MS's as they are better used as a satelite, they have metal drivers, metal enclosures and much smaller in size.

Also you still need a subwoofer with your fronts anyway so you might aswell have speakers that are a third of the size and save some space.

Regards

7. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hayes,

thanks for that.
    It's the 908 you are thinking of with the side driver. Mine are the next ones down - the 906. You're right though in that they are completely different.

When you say "used as a satellite", I assume you simply mean adjust the amp and subwoofer settings? Or is there more to it? My subwoofer is the BK XLS200.

The CD100s retails at around £500. Would you say they are at least an equal to my £350 Mordaunt-Shorts in terms of sound quality?

Any info would be appreciated. Kind regards.

8. KHCC

KHCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Mornin'

Yep, your assumption of 'adjusting the amp and sub' for sub/sat use is correct.

I would say that the CD100's are worth every penny as their build quality is excellant and once run in, which you do have to be patient, this takes a while sound great. You have to bare in mind that some of the money has been put into the technology of getting the speakers smaller.

Yes I do think they will sound better, but that's my ears not your's! You may think completely differently, I know people who have listened to speaker of a much higher value than their own, of which are reknowned for being the best in theprice range of higher price range, but they are so used to the sound they get at home, that's the sound they like and so can't upgrade as anything better they don't like!!!

Anyway, reviews saying this speake is better than that speaker is the reviewers opinion and taste. It's not fact! what is he or she.........God?

Reviews are good for sending you in the right dirrection, and getting a list of equipment to listen to. You should never buy equipment on the sayso of someone else as our eyes, ears, taste etc is what makes us human and individual. Here endeth the :lesson: :rolleyes:

In short, get an audition!!!

But then for £10 less, I prefer the Cabasse Xi floorstanders!!!

Regards

9. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :( :confused:

Who does these for £270? They look nicer than the Cantons IMO. Do they sound nicer too?

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  11. KHCC

KHCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I'm talking about retail price!!!

They are nicer in looks and sound.

12. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :oops:

Regarding the CD100s and auditioning, this isnt possible really - I live in Teesside and I don't think there are any Canton dealers up this way.

If anybody near me has the Cantons, i'd love an audition :lease: