1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canton CD100 owners - musically capable?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by rikwatson, Apr 25, 2005.

1. rikwatson

rikwatson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've been thinking long and hard now about what speakers to purchase to complete my home cinema / music set up and have still failed to come up with a decent solution!

Currently have:

1 sitting room 3.5m^2 - not a huge space hence thin speaker preference
    Yamaha RXV650
    Yamaha DVDS550
    Pair Mission 702e's - an RS special 6 years ago!

It will be used for about 50-50 music - movies. I demo'd a CD1 set up not long ago which was fantastic for the movies but just lacked that mid range oomph in the music department. And this is where my trouble lies and where I hope the CD100's may work.

I'm really asking owners of the CD100's what the musical performance of the speakers is like and whether they are pleased with them. They seem to me to be extended CD10's more than anything else, which makes me doubt their 'punch' but would love for someone to prove me wrong.

If not, I think I may have to go the full size floorstander route for what I am after.

Many thanks

Rick

PS And I know I should be demo-ing the CD100's before considering them but after slogging up and down Tottenham Court Rd, dealing with the particularly "helpful" staff :suicide: and finding just one canton setup, I am keener to source opinion from here first

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    well the CD10 is the top off a CD100 not the other way around............I was very pleased in my demos of the CD100's the speaker SUB integration is seamless, the AS22C was musically better than the MJ accoustics Ref100 i listened too first, (and had been very impressed with previously) BUT let your ears decide.................

3. richard76

richard76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how would the Canton set sounds if I replace the front CD100 with a pair of CD50?

4. johnnycab

johnnycab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    rikwatson,

I bought a pair of CD100 as my rear speaker replacements - and kept them in the front for a while. Although, they are now in their intended place, at the back - they still sound fantastic. It took a while to break them in, whilst being fed a whole range of musical content. They stood the test against my Tannoy floorstanders, with very good bass.

I do not think you will find many 'dealers' in TCR who even know about the Canton range - which was certainly the case, when I wanted to demo them. Although, this might have changed now with their increasing popularity here, and people asking for them. But, I doubt it very much! - some of those guys are living in the dark ages...

For the room size you have mentioned, they will blow you away. Just go for them in BLACK - you will not regret it!

HTH

5. a12yon

a12yon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I bought the full CD100 System for £240 and it sounds great for movies and music. I dont know how much difference quailty speaker cable makes but I decided as most of the cables were going into a wall cavity to buy QED Silver.

The Canton speakers may be small but they pack some punch!!

Attached Files:

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    a12yon nice set-up (but you have the CD1 package not the CD100 floor standers....)