1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canton CD100 midrange???

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by GFS AV, May 2, 2005.

1. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems when I get my own place, the front room will most likely be SMALL. :confused: It may be that I need to do away with my Mordaunt-Short setup (please see below), and replace with something more realistic for a SMALL room :( . This is not ideal, but my current listening room is on the limit of being too small, and it's about 3.5m x 4m. Anything smaller will not really be ideal for these speakers - dont think so anyway.

I will deftinately be keeping my XLS200 sub whatever happens! This is assuming the XLS200 will work fine with the Cantons - I would have thought a decent sub will work well with most speaker setups. It's the fronts, rears, and centre i'll probably need to change.

What I need to know is whether I will get a decent midrange from these Canton CD100's??? They look ideal for a small room, but one of my main concerns is midrange - this is the reason I upgraded my MS Premiere satellites to the full size setup. I personally can't see me getting anywhere near the full range punch of the 906, from the small-driver Cantons. I would like your opinions of this please. Has anybody made a similar change? The CD100s are usually about £500 :eek: , so surely they must be a bit special???
    Please help!! The powerbuy price appeals :) .

Any other speaker suggestions are welcome. Whatever happens, I NEED my full range sound!!! :D Thanks.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    best go listen and make your own mind up, as the Canotn powerbuy is a special forum only offer! See if there is a member local who would let you listen to them (I think its pretty good tho)

3. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, but not quite sure what these two statements have to do with eachother. I am aware this offer is only for AV forums members.

There are no dealers near me (Teesside - North east) who sell Canton gear. Not that I know of anyway.

If anybody lives near me with the Cantons, i'd really appreciate a demo. In the meantime though, can anybody give me their views on the Canton CD100's midrange performance, in comparison to a full size speaker i.e. my MS906s.

Thanks.

4. ADC

ADC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    GFS AV
    I have the canton cd100s in my set up along with a mj acoustics ref 100 sub and i'm delighted with them. They are the best speakers i've owned ( except the M&K set up i used to have).
    I find the mid range perfectly acceptable. plenty of punch to it.
    Its a shame youre so far away or i'd gladly let you have a listen to mine.
    Youre more than welcome if youre in the area though.

5. bobinski

bobinski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I dont know if this will help but....
    I have just replaced my Royd Minstrels with the cd100,s.
    The Royds were 10 years old but were bought on the back of an outstanding review in Hi Fi choice.They didnt go loud but were fantastic for vocal,Jazz,chamber music,some orchestral and the odd bit of rock.Really wonderful speakers.Warm,detailed.They didnt go loud but they seemed to convey,for me ,the heart of the music.You Can tell i loved them :)
    Now i have the cd1 setup for home cinema but bought the dc100s to replace the fronts at the same time.
    I have run them in for about 35 hours.At first they were bright and abrasive but they are now settling down and i am coming to love them.They already convey more detail than the Royds,the mid range is cleaner and just THERE.....i have no sense of something missing as i did with the cd10,s.I think it helps that particuarly with classical and jazz,that they seem to separate instruments and vocals so well that the voice or an instrument seems to float in front of me.Great!!
    I should say that they are VERY easy to drive-i am using an old pioneer a400 amp-and go very loud before distorting.Much louder than i or my nieghbours could bear!
    Also,i found it best to sight them about 12 inches from a wall and about 8 feet apart.I sit about 10 feet from them.
    As i say i hope this helps but please bear in mind i am not a audio nut and others who are may disagree strongly with all i have said.
    bobinski

6. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Hi Greg
    I can appreciate your problems with space constraints! I've not heard the Cantons myself but if I were you I would consider moving your 902's the front to go with your 905 centre and replacing the rear speakers with something smaller like the Cantons, I have a similar arrangement myself and it's a good compromise between space and ability plus you get to keep the "sound" that you've grown accustomed to. Wall mounting also becomes an option with bookshelf speakers.

I'm certain you can make the XLS200 integrate with whatever you buy though, it's sealed design makes it remarkably easy compared to some other models I've played with. :)

7. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ADC thanks a lot for the kind offer.

bobinski, thanks, i'll bare that in mind. Anymore thoughts folks??? Thanks again

8. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks John,

Having listened to my 902s (briefly) up front, I would be downgrading my system somewhat. Although the 902s are ok, they are nowhere near my 906s. I'm hoping to get something of equal quality. I know this is a long shot, but I could do with something small, but equally as good as my 906s.

Any ideas? :rolleyes:

9. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    C'mon folks, anymore opinions on the CD100s please??? :)

10. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Having not heard the 906's I can't really help in that respect, I certainly don't think you'll find satellites that can compare to them although the latest crop of smaller speakers are generally very good. I suppose it really depends where your priorities lie and how much money you can spend on the equpiment. I can certainly recommend using bookshelf speakers up front and smaller ones at the back though. :)

11. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bobinski,

I am not familiar with the Royd speakers you mentioned. Have you compared the CD100s to anything else? Would you say the CD100s give a full, powerful, cinematic sound? Or do they seem laid back?

12. bobinski

bobinski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Well,they are anything but laid back!Which i like.The only weaknesses in the Royds were that they didnt go loud and at times lacked a certain,in your faceness,for want of a better description.So,perhaps they were a little too laid back for most peoples tastes.The flip side was that they were great for jazz and chamber music and vocal music such as Strauss or Schubert.
    I played some Renaata tebaldi singing various arias this morning before work and,bearing in mind i am still running the speakers in,while not as warm a sound[yet] as the Royds Renattas voice had more prescence.Assisted,i think,by what i find to be the greater ability of the speakers to separate different instruments and voice.Her voice projected forward in a way it hadnt so much with the Royds.
    So,a long winded way of saying that i wouldnt call the speakers laid back!

13. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    They look great in black :D

How soon do you want to get them ? Mine are still in the box (with 4 CD10s, CD50 and Velodyne CHT10). Won't get set-up for another 4 weeks probably (building HC room at the moment) but if you want a demo after that and don't mind the 1-1.5 hour drive to Leeds you will be more than welcome.

Ray

14. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot Ray, that would be great. I'm in no rush as I havent even found a house yet - I just know the chances are the front room will be very small.

How big is your HC room? A 7.1 setup should be great :smashin:

If you could let me know when youre all set up that would be great.

15. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Will do. Room is 3.6m x 4.8m (about 11ft x 15ft) so wide enough for a 8-10ft sceen :smashin: but not really long enough to sit the right distance away :thumbsdow Probably end up with a 7.5 ft screen - have to experiment.

Big enough for the Cantons though.

Ray