1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canton CD series speakers - better than KEF eggs

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Chickster, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Chickster

Chickster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If anyone is thinking of buying the KEF KHT 2005.2 speakers then you should consider the Canton CD series before parting with your money. I was going to buy the KEF's to go with either a Denon 2805 or Yamaha DSP 750. I demoed the Yamaha and the KEF's and was impressed but as stated elsewhere in the forums when the KEF's were pushed hard they showed their flaws and sounded harsh. Yesterday I demoed the Cantons after speaking to Hayes from Kent AV sales who suggested these as an alternative. I have to say they sounded brilliant. At first they sounded similar to the eggs but when the volume was cranked up this was where the similarities ended. Unlike the eggs the Cantons did not sound harsh or strained. The clarity and depth was amazing.
    A great thing about the Cantons is that the CD series suit all budgets. The CD1 package for approx £400 is the cheapest but is a What HiFi 2003 award winner. The 2.22 and 4.25 packages are better but start at approx £1000. However, you don't have to stick with the packages as the CD range can be bought individually to suit the pocket e.g. instead of the CD1 with all small CD10 satellites you could buy 2 rear CD 10's and 3 CD 50's for the front which is what I'm planning to do. The Canton's coupled with QED micro biwire (rear) and Silver Anniversary (front) are an awesome package.
    The problem for most forum members seems to be finding retailers for demos. Standesign in Gosport are the UK distributor, speak to Nick who will not only give you technical advice but can help with Canton retailer contacts. Standesign's number can be found on the canton.de website.
    I have been completely won over by these great speakers.

2. mevetts

mevetts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This is great news, I am planning on getting the Cantons in the next couple of months. I am really encouraged to hear such positive reviews, not really heard a negative one yet. One tip, if you want them cheaper, £250 for CD1 series then buy from Germany.

Thanks, Chickster.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I was chatting to Alastair and Andrew at Kent Home Cinema a few weeks ago and they told me then that in their opinion these were an excellent range of speakers that punched above their weight.

4. luke77

luke77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the cd2.22 series and I have to say they sound absolutely fantastic. Not only that but my wife hates 'gadgets' and tech stuff in the living room and is far more interested in looks. These look great as well as having a superb sound. I have them with the denon 2803.

5. bbasra

bbasra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    How about in comparison to the M.Short Genie?

A review can be found here.

http://www.mordaunt-short.co.uk/genie/reviews/whf-nov%2004-genie-gtw%20(lo%20res).pdf

i have decided to get the Denon 3508 Receiver and need a set of speakers to go with it.

I was also going to get kef egss, however, now not sure..... :rolleyes:

6. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,146
    Marantz Germany have been blind testing their two Genies against the Cantons and the Sib/Cubs and reckon it is better but as yet nobody here has done a test between these units. I feel pretty confident that Genie can cut it with them ;).

7. bbasra

bbasra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    i just spoke to seven oaks in staines, he is going to get the M.Short Genie's in very soon, so i will go there and do a demo between the genies, eggs, cantons and maybe the EA Evo's 3B all with the Denon 3805.

will let you know the results.

8. jonbrown

jonbrown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I’ve just brought a set of these (the CD 1) and I’m well pleased. Unfortunately after a couple of days the Mrs ‘discovered’ the sub hiding under a table. I did point out that if it took her that long it wasn’t the end of the world. She had been quite pleased with the others apart from what she refers to as the ‘elephant’ wires.

She has pointed out that at some stage the expected new arrival is going to consider that large hole in the front of the sub a good place for ‘putting things’. Anyone come up with a general solution for this problem?

9. Boink!

Boink!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Part exchange the wife for someone more AV-friendly?

10. jonbrown

jonbrown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thoughts like that are the start of the slippery slope Boink!

11. Grif

Grif

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Jon
    Your wife makes a very valid point and is in fact absolutely right :eek: This is one of the reasons I went for the Kef PSW2500 (bought used from Kaz on this forum)...not only is it very pretty (oval), but it is also a sealed unit (no holes) and it fires down so the driver is safe from little fingers.

My children are 5 and 3, and I can tell you that in those years they have done their level best to destroy the entire house and everything in it.....I kid you not!

12. Alec

Alec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just Demo'd the cd 4.25's and they sound great. We are concerned about using the 2 CD 100 upright speakers for the rear as the stands are only 1m high.
    Could we use two of the canton centre speakers for the rear's, as these can be mounted on the wall?
    Any suggestions?