Canton AS125SC or SVS SB12-Plus Which is better?

R

RossH

Hi folks,

I'm in the market for a new sub and am stuck as to which to buy!

I like the look of the canton one and its a good price on this site. I also know that SVS subs are very good quality (I'd love an ultra 13 but its just too big just now!)

Does anyone have experience with the 2 subs I've mentioned or have any other recommendations other than those i've mentioned?

Cheers.

p.s. my current system is - 3 x Canton CD250 left/right/centre - 2 x Canton CD220 rears - Denon AVR2807

Good question.
The SB12+ is very good, but given the size of the Canton and the fact that it's ported, I'd expect the Canton to have the edge in depth and max volume. I've never heard or seen anyone mention the Canton on here though, so that is purely just a guess.
The SB12+ does have other advantages though, one being the single band EQ that could come in extremely handy, depending on your rooms accoustics.

Others to consider are the BK range (here, I'm thinking XLS300 or the ubiquitous Monolith) and the next up the SVS range (PB10 and 12 NSD )

Not sure how they compare price-wise, to the Canton, but if you're thinking SB12+, all should be cheaper:smashin:

Sorry mate, I don't get it :confused: I am not a native speaker, go easy on me :rolleyes:

The house was originally massive and some of the house has been sold off to a builder to build other houses, was what he was joking about :)

TBH, the way spanish house prices were going until about a year ago, I see what he meant :eek:
It was the same here.

Do you understand the saying "tits up"?

If so, it's the same here because of the so called "credit crunch" :thumbsdow

I'm still amazed at your comprehension of the english language mate.
Truth is, it's probably better than a lot of 15YO english people.
I'm somewhat ashamed, but that's by the by.

Back on track eh? :)

I have a feeling they don't shrink with age mate :smashin:

Graham

I meant the room is a bit small to have an Ultra 13 just now! Maybe a couple more rungs up the housing ladder and i'll have the space.

I could maybe just squeeze the Canton (or sub of similar size) passed the better half although I've never seen the need for coffee tables, extra sofas and side boards that women seem to fill with sh*te from Next!

I do prefer the idea of a ported sub, has anyone got experience of the smaller version of the Monolith that BK make? Does it still look huge or is it a little more missus friendly?

Do you mean the XLS200?
It's highly rated.
Do a search on here and you'll find absolutely tons of info about BK subs :smashin:

I meant the room is a bit small to have an Ultra 13 just now! Maybe a couple more rungs up the housing ladder and i'll have the space.

I could maybe just squeeze the Canton (or sub of similar size) passed the better half although I've never seen the need for coffee tables, extra sofas and side boards that women seem to fill with sh*te from Next!

I do prefer the idea of a ported sub, has anyone got experience of the smaller version of the Monolith that BK make? Does it still look huge or is it a little more missus friendly?

As someone much wiser than me pointed out (sorry been pouring over this forum for so long, I have lost track which wise man), a smaller sub looks like a bit of hifi and the larger one an item of furniture. If you are going large, go large seems to be the thinking.

Having said that, when I slipped a small one in unannounced, it was banished and took me two weeks of sweet talking to get it back, so yes eek eek! (man or a mouse - you decide!).

It would be nice to get 'er indoors to help choose, but none at all is not a position of compromise :D

I would say that quality bass is not just for the larger room, but being disappointed with the lack of it is not a good investment.

Go for it!

Graham

Hi

Your right. Canton sub's are rarely mentioned on the sub forum. not because they are bad, but they just don't have the same sort of fan base as the other sub's.

Here is a review that was done on the AS120SC which was the predecesor of the AS125SC. The main difference is the AS125SC now has an aluminium drive unit (which gives tighter Bass) and off the top of my head, i think they improved the amp, but i'll have to check that.

You can't compare the AS85SC to the AS125SC. chalk and cheese. big time. :D

Can't really comment on the SVS, but the Canton is a very very good sub for the money.

Regards

JJ

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom