Cantilever mounting wall probs

tinners

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I bought a cantilever mount from mform for my Sony 40" LCD.
M-Form - 37" to 52" Free Motion Cantilever Bracket (Black)

When carrying out renovation work to the house we found our party wall is only single skin brick (10cm).

This has been insulated and plasterboarded over, but the battens sadly are not spaced at a point to put the mount onto where it needs to go.

So my question is are plasterboard fixings enough to support the TV ? Especially given it will be proportionally heavier than a fixed mount due to the extra force caused by it "cantilevering" out from the wall. If so which ones should I use ?

I looked at rigifix which seemed a great option but they need a 10cm deep hole (7.5cm in the brick) which with the single brick between us and next door is too risky.

I absolutely cannot risk it falling off as we have 2 children under 3.

Help !

Hi

If you have a brick skin behind the plasterboard then I'd cut away the board where the fixing points are and attach a couple of battens to the brick. Then attach the bracket to the battens. Alternatively you can use long frame fixings directl;y into the brick and just use battens as spacers.

Either way, as long as you have brick to fix to then you'll be ok.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Graham

OK thought I'd just post an update and also some feedback on the mount.

I used the battens behind the plasterboard in the end and screwed through four M5 * 80mm wood screws with some washers on the end. This holds it perfectly.

In terms of the mount, it is first class, very solid and a really nice smooth action to bring it in and out.

And thanks to Graham for some really good support and advice on this.

Apologies for the pic quality will get some better ones when we get some lamps in the room. (Or take some pictures during the day)

Attachments

• Pictures.jpg
    Pictures.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 117
  • Pictures 013.jpg
    Pictures 013.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom