Cantebury today...56k stay away!!

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Soundwave, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Soundwave

Soundwave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,487
    Hey all,

Was out in Cantebury today & took the oppurtunity to break my D40 out for the first time so thought I would share some shots with you.

Now be warned these are my first ever shots with a D-SLR so please dont expect too much as I am still a total beginner.

Most were taken on the Auto setting with the kit 18-55mm lens & have been uploaded with no editing at all & are exactly as they were taken, so without further Ado here are my attempts at "photography" :D:D

All opinions will be greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Neil

2. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +528
    I'll try to be gentle :D

Zoom out a bit more, or take a few paces backwards. You're chopping off the tops of buildings. When in doubt, shoot a little wider than you need, as this allows you some leeway to crop

#1 lost the top of the gatehouse – I would’ve framed it with less road, more sky, and chopped out the scaffolding)

#2 chopped the top off again. The lens flare is also a bit distracting. The rohan tree is obscuring the tower, when it might’ve been nicer to use it to frame it.

#3 needs a stronger subject – pick flowers, river or swans. If river, frame it differently. If swans, get a longer lens!

#4 wheelie bins!!!! Again, the tree is kinda in the way. The front door looks the most photogenic bit, so I might’ve gone for than.

#5 nothing wrong, but very square on.

#6 Nice one – but I would’ve got down lower to try the tree higher above the house

#7 Needs a stronger subject

#8 Has potential, but needed some other angle methings

#9-11 Need a little more interest (#9 is trying to have some dappled light but not enough really)

Btw, I notice you're in Bas...I've you want a decent subject this time of year, have a walk around Thorndon Country Park up the A128. The leaves are starting to turn, so we'll get some nice autumn colours in a week or two - just pick your day/time to catch some pretty autumn sunlight.