Can't work out the best way to attach TV to wall mount

Bigweed

Standard Member
So I have bought a Vonhaus wall mount:

I also have a Hisense 55U7QF TV. The back of the TV isn't quite flat near where the VESA mounts are:

PXL_20201202_083520847.jpg

The brackets I need to attach to the TV don't sit flush to the TV if I use the holes already made in the brackets:

PXL_20201202_083743681.jpg

PXL_20201202_083800355.jpg

It's not obvious from above but the brackets are not quite flush due to the slight lip at the bottom

I could make the bracket flush by using the appropriate hole at the bottom of the bracket:

PXL_20201202_083649370.jpg

But then I would need to drill into the bracket at the top position:

PXL_20201202_083607565.jpg

Am I okay to use the brackets not quite flush? Or is it best to drill an extra hole where I need it into the brackets? I'm not sure if drilling a hole would affect the integrity of the brackets??

Any help most appreciated

larkone

Distinguished Member
Either cut the un-used end of the bracket off or use washers to pack the gap.

mikej

Brackets often come with different sized plastic spacers (essentially short plastic tubes) for situations like this so check the contents of the bracket box. If they didn't supply any, then just use metal washers like larkone suggested, which would be the easiest and cheapest solution.

Go for 'penny washers', which look like this

penny washer.jpg

Make sure that the inner hole matches your bolt diameter (probably M4, M6 or M8) and that the washer fits into the plastic hole. I would note down the outer diameter of the plastic hole and take your bolt into a local hardware shop and ask for help. Alternatively, bigger places like Screwfix and B&Q will sell multipacks.

How many you'll need will depend on the depth of the hole, but I would guess it's possibly 3-4 for each hole. I would use enough to leave a small gap between the back panel and the bracket strut.

I wouldn't cut the bracket - you may need the other holes if you ever change your TV !

Last edited:

RealityDysfunction

That bracket looks like it is sticking out above the top of the TV. It shouldn't do that. Either that bracket is too big, needs adjusting/centering or my eyes need testing. As stated above you need spacers to adjust for the curve, most brackets are supplied with these.

mikej

That bracket looks like it is sticking out above the top of the TV. It shouldn't do that. Either that bracket is too big, needs adjusting/centering or my eyes need testing.

Yes - it does look like that might be the case in the close-up photos above, but the 55U7QF has a similar side profile to an OLED so the top part of the bracket will still be hidden behind the upper part of the TV :)

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
Samsung ship something like these. You just need to select the appropriate size. I wouldn't use washers as you will potentially be crushing the case around the mounting hole. You don't need 12 so maybe check Ebay as well.

Amazon product

mikej

Samsung ship something like these. You just need to select the appropriate size. I wouldn't use washers as you will potentially be crushing the case around the mounting hole. You don't need 12 so maybe check Ebay as well.

Wall-mounting bolts need to be done up reasonably firmly but not so tight that you would crush the plastic. I agree that plastic spacers are better suited though - I guess I was just going for a quick and easy solution :)

I'd actually be surprised if there weren't any plastic spacers included with the bracket, TBH.

Bigweed

Standard Member
Aha ok so I found the rubber tube thingies. I put them between the TV and the bracket, directly above and on top of each VESA hole. I then put a metal round 'washer'? on top of the plastic tube, so between the rubber tube and the bracket. Then more metal washers between the bracket on the back of the TV, and the bolt

I didn't make any changes to the metal bracket attached to the wall.

That all seems okay. Hopefully I did that right

J4S0N

Novice Member
Brackets often come with different sized plastic spacers (essentially short plastic tubes) for situations like this so check the contents of the bracket box. If they didn't supply any, then just use metal washers like larkone suggested, which would be the easiest and cheapest solution.

Go for 'penny washers', which look like this

View attachment 1414529

Make sure that the inner hole matches your bolt diameter (probably M4, M6 or M8) and that the washer fits into the plastic hole. I would note down the outer diameter of the plastic hole and take your bolt into a local hardware shop and ask for help. Alternatively, bigger places like Screwfix and B&Q will sell multipacks.

How many you'll need will depend on the depth of the hole, but I would guess it's possibly 3-4 for each hole. I would use enough to leave a small gap between the back panel and the bracket strut.

I wouldn't cut the bracket - you may need the other holes if you ever change your TV !

If it helps I have the same TV and mount. This is exactly what I did, added penny washers and it mounts perfectly

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom