1. Join Now

    AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't watch NTSC & Record on DMR-E85

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by deadfolk, Apr 6, 2005.

  1. deadfolk

    deadfolk
    Standard Member

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2005
    Messages:
    55
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    6
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

    I have a question regarding a small problem with my new Panasonic DMR-E85.
    It seems that I cannot play an NTSC DVD while recording to the HDD from Sky. The recorder displays a message along the lines of 'Incompatible TV format'.

    PAL DVDs are fine, as are NTSC when I'm not recording - it's only NTSC while recording.
    Has anyone else come across this behaviour? I've not found any posts which mention it.

    Thanks for any comments,

    Matt
     
  2. HMHB

    HMHB
    Distinguished Member

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2001
    Messages:
    25,452
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    166
    Location:
    Nottinghamshire
    Ratings:
    +3,753
    I'm pretty sure that's how the E85 works and is a limitation of it.
     
  3. deadfolk

    deadfolk
    Standard Member

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2005
    Messages:
    55
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    6
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a feeling that might be the case.
    Oh, well - not the end of the world, I guess. :rolleyes:

    Thanks for the info.
     
  4. jerryq7777

    jerryq7777
    Member

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2004
    Messages:
    4,197
    Products Owned:
    1
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    136
    Ratings:
    +651
    I got the same message seems daft theres no auto function but you have to manually change it.Just noticed it wont work if you have the timer on either but if you switch it off it works.
     
  5. deadfolk

    deadfolk
    Standard Member

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2005
    Messages:
    55
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    6
    Ratings:
    +0
    jerryq7777,

    Are you saying there's a setting you can manually set to force it to play NTSC discs whilst recording?
     
  6. jerryq7777

    jerryq7777
    Member

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2004
    Messages:
    4,197
    Products Owned:
    1
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    136
    Ratings:
    +651
    It works when in timer mode so i assume it works in rec mode too only problem will be you will record in NTSC too....i think lol.
    Goto functions/setup/connections/tv system and change to NTSC.
    Its not ideal but its all there is without the auto function.
     
  7. phelings

    phelings
    Banned

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2003
    Messages:
    1,025
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    36
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panasonic and Pioneer both do this.What makes the Panasonic so naff on this front,is that when the recorder is set to default PAL setting,all NTSC discs will output in PAL 60 and not pure NTSC.The tv setting needs to be changed to enable pure NTSC.Of course you need to return it to PAL to enable PAL recording again.
    Pioneer has a separate setting to choose either PAL 60 or NTSC bu this setting is seaprate from the tv setting and still will not allow NTSC playback while PAL recording is on-or vice versa
     
  8. deadfolk

    deadfolk
    Standard Member

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2005
    Messages:
    55
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    6
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's not such a big deal, I guess.
    99% of my recordings take place when I'm out anyway, so I'm sure I can handle only watching PAL in the other 1% of cases.

    Anyway, at least I now know that this is a limitation, so I won't waste any more time trying to 'fix' it. ;)

    Thanks again, everyone.
     
  9. liamdens

    liamdens
    Guest

    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have, unhappily, just found exactly the same thing on my new Pioneer DVR-420H. See thread:

    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224284&highlight=dvd+ntsc+record

    This type of problem had not entered my head until I sat down to a NTSC DVD last night whilst recording Sky (in PAL).

    Seems a bit of a weak link don't you think? You are recording a program, have an empty DVD drive waiting to go but you can't use it! I'm not very happy at the thought of having to reinstate my old DVD Player as the whole reason behind buying the new recorder was to loose some of the equipment under the TV.

    Oh well better carry on with my HTPC project and have done with it :)
     

Share This Page

Loading...