Can't wait to cancel my Sky HD!

gtg60

Established Member
Reaction score
At last, the 12 months have just about come 'round (21st of May) and I'll be cancelling my subscription on that day and why?

Firstly, and lets be honest here, there really isn't that much programming that is 'proper' HD or that I haven't seen 10 times over...

Secondly, I was screwed on the 2 lots of subscriptions because I have multiroom and have 2 HD boxes (I believe there are many people out there that are not happy with this situation)

And thirdly because there have been no prices changes for me here in the Republic even though when I originally signed up 15 Euro was worth approx £10 nowadays it's more like £12, funnily in previous years when our currency went weaker against the pound we were hammered by Sky for the difference straight away!

Anyway 2 more weeks and I can't wait to tell them where to stick their HD!

Keith

If I am being honest I have plenty of native HD to watch for my tenner but I accept it's not for everyone and more people should take their custom elsewhere if they are not happy, it is the only real effect that could cause SKY to rethink certain business models.

If I am being honest I have plenty of native HD to watch for my tenner

Yes but I am paying £24 EXTRA to have Sky HD in my house (albeit on 2 TV's).

At last, the 12 months have just about come 'round (21st of May) and I'll be cancelling my subscription on that day and why?

Firstly, and lets be honest here, there really isn't that much programming that is 'proper' HD or that I haven't seen 10 times over...

Secondly, I was screwed on the 2 lots of subscriptions because I have multiroom and have 2 HD boxes (I believe there are many people out there that are not happy with this situation)

And thirdly because there have been no prices changes for me here in the Republic even though when I originally signed up 15 Euro was worth approx £10 nowadays it's more like £12, funnily in previous years when our currency went weaker against the pound we were hammered by Sky for the difference straight away!

Keith

You sound like you want to be talked into cancelling SKY HD?

Good luck to you, I get plenty of native HD for my money. Wouldnt dream of going back to blurry SKY SD - enjoy! :D

You sound like you want to be talked into cancelling SKY HD?

Did you mean talked out of? Because if they gave me my 2 HD subscriptions for £10 (13 Euro) then I'd keep it!

I cancelled mine after 12 Months I still watch BBCHD and CH4HD.

I can't say I've really missed it as I'd dropped sports and movies before I'd dropped HD, so I was only watching the occasional HD programme on SKY1HD for £10 a month.
Which I'm sure everyone will agree doesn't make much sense.

I prefer to watch my Movies on Blu-ray and the only sport I'm interested in is Motor sport.

SKYHD isn't for everyone

Yes but I am paying £24 EXTRA to have Sky HD in my house (albeit on 2 TV's).

Well that was your choice, no one forced you to splash out on two HD displays and two SKY+HD boxes so it was not a surprise you had to pay for two HD subs, the exchange rate issue is a factor which I fully sympathise with.

I can't say I've really missed it as I'd dropped sports and movies before I'd dropped HD, so I was only watching the occasional HD programme on SKY1HD for £10 a month.
Which I'm sure everyone will agree doesn't make much sense.
Well I am unlikely to agree with you as, after FXHD and Rush-HD (for skiing videos!) got added, I went the other way! FTA/FTV to Sky-HD!

i couldnt drop hd and go back to watching the footie and rugby etc in sd, there is no comparrison and i hate watching sd sport.

Can't see the problem myself. 36p a day for more native HD content than I've got time to watch. Save your money and watch it in SD if you want but I know what I'll be doing:smashin:

cant blame you for cancelling, i did long ago, simply not enough content for me personally, although thats because im not really into sports and prefer my movies on disc! but if you like sports or have no other hd source i would recommend it if you have an hd telly.

Keith

Bully for you!!!

Why do you feel the need to share this essentially personal and singularly unimportant (for ANYone else) piece of information with 'the world'....

And having indicated the vehemence of your position (and your lack of class or breeding) by stating that you can't wait to tell some poor operator at Sky where to 'stick it' (delightful), on hearing that the double sub may be reduced you suddenly decide that, if that were the case, you would keep it!

What about your first and third points?

Really, are you that desperate for attention?

Bully for you!!!

Why do you feel the need to share this essentially personal and singularly unimportant (for ANYone else) piece of information with 'the world'....

And having indicated the vehemence of your position (and your lack of class or breeding) by stating that you can't wait to tell some poor operator at Sky where to 'stick it' (delightful), on hearing that the double sub may be reduced you suddenly decide that, if that were the case, you would keep it!

What about your first and third points?

Really, are you that desperate for attention?

Everybody should be given the latitude to have a little rant every now and then.

Perhaps you should look at the vehemence in your own post there;)

Chill:)

I can't wait to cansell mine to i only have 11 months and 26 days to go lol.

Keith
You can issue your notice to cancel now. It's 12 months, not 12 months and an extra month while we cancel you.

The top package + HD sub is a little too much for me to swallow as well. Which is a shame because I really miss those HD premiership matches!

The BBC hasn't been putting England matches/FA CUP in HD lately so the only thing left is C4HD, which I'm quite happy about movie wise.

I do wish they would drop the charge like they did with Sky+. They never told me about that and I only found about it months later, so I came back to Sky. Free sky+ and free skytalk were motivations to do so.

But saying that I'm not going to cancel gas/electric/water because they are ripping me off either. If we take water for example, I pay the same rate as everyone else around me even though I live by myself in a 1 bedroom apartment. I pay the same as the 3 bedroom houses around me :(. Same goes for the BBC subscription fee which I hardly ever watch (some of you refer to it as a "TV License"...

Well I am unlikely to agree with you as, after FXHD and Rush-HD (for skiing videos!) got added, I went the other way! FTA/FTV to Sky-HD!

I'd never heard of either channel until I heard they were going HD.
I've done the I'm watching this just because it's HD thing when I first got HD.
If it's crap it's still crap but HD crap! :D

If we take water for example, I pay the same rate as everyone else around me even though I live by myself in a 1 bedroom apartment. I pay the same as the 3 bedroom houses around me :(
Get a water meter, that's one problem solved you should save a fare bit too.

If we take water for example, I pay the same rate as everyone else around me even though I live by myself in a 1 bedroom apartment. I pay the same as the 3 bedroom houses around me

Slighty off topic, but I believe you have a right to ask for a water meter to be fitted. Should save you a bit.

Whilst I agree that paying for 2 hd subs is not fair - I have 2 hd boxes and object to paying it - but not enough to cancel. This has been rumoured to change for a long time, I'll believe it when I see it.

Similarly, if you like sport and films is the £10 really so bad ? It will cost you £15 to get a couple of blu rays a week from Lovefilm or you can always buy them for a lot more. The football and some other sports are great in hd - as are some of the documentary channels. Sure there are a lot of repeats but there is in general anway on documentary channels.

I also do not see how Sky's currency exposure affects you directly.You used to pay €15 and continue to do so. Your local currency is the euro, you cannot expect all fluctuations in currency to be passed on to the consumer, especially when it is their favour. Thats business.

Am I getting great value for money ?, probably not but there is no other choice. I like the sport, films and documentaries in hd. I have to pay for it.

I won't lose too much sleep over it, all my other household bills have about doubled in the last 2 years.

The rumour on the £10 sub being canselled has been going on for ages it's as bad as waiting for bbc hd to stop being a test channel and go full hd. Just don't hold your breath or you might go a funny blue colour.

Starburst puts the solution simply enough ... if you don't like it, don't pay it. It's not for everyone.

However, the point about content is simply not correct. The number and content of HD channels has increased hugely since launch. The addition of the movie channels, another Sky Sports HD channel and the bonus additions such as Ch4 and FOX have increased the HD content significantly since the launch date for the same cost.

When compared to the cost of DVD rental the film channels alone make good value (if you use them) and put simply, I could not live without SkySportsHD on my projector.

It comes down to consumer choice. My pal has just spent £160 on some new brakes for his mountain bike, which, to me, is not good value for money as I never go riding - he goes three or four times per week so he was positively gushing about how much better his bike riding experience will be with his new brakes ..... and then he sits down and watches his 28" CRT and tells me he can't understand why I bother with my 37" Samsung and projector in the home cinema.

One man's meat ......

What's been rumoured to change? the £10 fee for HD or being charged £10 for the 2nd room!? :confused:
Rumour is that the £10 multiroom subscription will cover HD on the multiroom STB.

First off, my opinions are my own and I'm entitled to them and it's a very small minded person who rants about my rants and then attacks me personally :thumbsdow

When I originally had gotten my HD box (from ebay), I was thrilled with it! So much so that I got another one for the room upstairs (which already had a HD TV in it), when I rang Sky, I got the new card paired and was as happy as the proverbial pig until I got my next credit card statement! My Sky bill had suddenly jumped by 30 Euro instead of 15! I rang Sky only to be told that is how it was, at NO point previous to that was I told I would be charged TWO HD subs, I was not happy and said that they could cancel the second HD sub only to be told that I couldn't as it was a 12 month contract! I was furious and felt cheated and BTW I don't attack customer service people (again being judged by somebody else's standards there). THIS is my major problem with how I was dealt with by Sky and the main reason I am cancelling to show them I am not happy.

To elaborate on why I think the content is lacking is firstly that unlike those in the UK, I don't get C4 HD or BBCHD (well I can get BBC but it's not worth the hassle), secondly I don't watch sport, so I'm left with the odd TV show (Lost and BSG) and the occasional movie, hardly worth my 30 Euro IMHO.

And in relation to the currency issue, this wouldn't be a problem EXCEPT in previous years (I've had Sky since the old days when the movies were free on analogue!) Sky have increased the price within a month of our Pound (way back) or Euro gets weak against Sterling, at the moment I pay 111 Euro for my package including multiroom and my 2 HD subs which is equivalent to £87, £24 of which is for my HD subs.

I hope that explains my situation a little better...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom