Can't use new SATA as main drive

jonas000

I'm trying to move everything over from a IDE HDD my new SATA HDD. Changed the jumpers on the IDE to 'slave' and its down as 'slave' in the BIOS but when I try and boot to the SATA to can't find it. Only works when I set the IDE as main drive.

I used the seagate discwizard but nothing happens. Can anyone help?

SeanT

Distinguished Member
You need to go into the bios and change the boot order methinks.

jonas000

I have, i still wont boot on SATA. only when I switch it back to the old one.

SeanT

Distinguished Member
What board is it? Does it have a RAID controller and if so is this used for Sata?

jonas000

Asus A8N32SLI

Paul Shirley

Which OS are you booting and exactly when does it fail during boot?

Assuming WinXP: the boot process looks for a specific drive and interface to boot from. You just swapped interface and Windoze is looking at the wrong drive. With your IDE as slave it also changed interface so the expected drive isn't there, with it as master you'll likely be booting from the old drive instead of the new one... bad.

Couple of way to fix it, the easiest is booting to the Recovery Console (from your WinXP install disc), then use 'BOOTCFG /scan' to rebuild the boot list. You might also need the FIXMBR or FIXBOOT commands, try BOOTCFG first. Leave just the new drive installed while doing this. You may also need to boot XP once in safe mode before it will start properly.

SeanT

Distinguished Member
Ooops, I was thinking too simple, I just assumed you were reinstalling the OS - if moving from one interface to another you are going to have issues, the MBR will be all wrong!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q800A Soundbar & Rotel Michi X3 Reviews + TV show and Movie News & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom