1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't use it in daylight?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by MacReady, Mar 27, 2005.

1. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    A couple of friends are really impressed with my projector but still insist that it is not usable in ANY kind of daylight.

We have a long room with a large window at either end (one is behind the screen) and I have thicker blinds along with dark thick curtains so that I could use the pj in the day.

The kids have just asked to play on the Xbox so I put it on and was about to close the blinds and curtains...but it dosn't need it ! It is a dull day today anyway but I can't wait to show my friends the following picture so they can see how 'unusable' a projector is in the day ;)

[​IMG]

2. MikeRJ

MikeRJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The room looks pretty dark anyway. A projector is unusable in strong sunlight.

3. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    I agree with that...I have tried it on a pretty sunny day and could hardly see anything on darker images.

The camera seems to have made the room look darker in the photograph though as it was not that dark when I took it. The point I was trying to make was that my friends are of the opinion that a projector cannot be used in anything other than pitch black conditions late at night.

4. elementalist2

elementalist2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    In strong sunlight, sure they are useless, but then, so it a CRT with strong sunlight shining on it.

Personally, since I made a grey/silver screen, I find I can have lights on good enough to comfortably read a book while the projector image is more than good enough to play the PS2.

Sure, I wouldn't keep the lights on while I watch a film, but when the missus wants to read the paper, I can still watch Friends ;)

5. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    One of the 'doubters' came round yesterday...after spending the afternoon playing Halo2 with the blinds and curtains open I think he was converted:D

6. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    People don't realise that room lighting is different than natural light. I have my lights on in my room 90% of the time and am quite happy. The lights are on a dimmer which is on at about 80% or below. OK the black levels take a hit when the lights are on, and on sunny days the curtains are closed but that was the case with the CRT TV I had before! I think the problem lies with peoples misconceptions over PJs lighting due to PJs in pubs. The amount of people who start talking about PJs by saying 'but the PJ in the pub is shi...' .

7. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Lol...very true. A friend who saw my Z2 for the first time a few weeks ago said pretty much the same " I didn't think it would look that good as the one's you see in pubs are crap!"