• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Can't upgrade software on 1TB self install

smjxm09

Established Member
Just replaced my HD box with the 1TB version.

Read the guide, watched the video but when I hold down the back up button on the box and press the sky button on the remote I don't get the updating system software window after the please wait window.

Box works fine with all channels there but I do get an error message when completing the channel activation procedure which asks if the software has been upgraded. I said yes but Sky knows better.

paul_h

Established Member
to do a software update all you have to do is power off box, hold backup button then power back op while keeping backup button held down, in a few seconds the download software screen will come up, then let go of backup button.

logiciel

As the machine is working fine why do you want to do anything to it? :confused:
There was a sticker on mine saying to do something but I ignored it and it's always been fine too.

nick270881

Established Member
Just in case you missed a step, here is how to do a download on a 1TB Box

1. Turn the box into "Deep Standby" by making sure it is first ON then pressing and holding the power button until the LED goes RED not Orange

2. Press and HOLD the Back Up Button

3. Press SKY on the Remote Control and continue to hold the Back Up button for anything upto 10 seconds until the 4 LED's on the front light up

If these steps are done correctly then it should do a download correctly

Nick

logiciel

And what effect will that have on the working of the machine?

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
And what effect will that have on the working of the machine?

If it is a box that has been sat on a shelf in a warehouse for the past 6 months or so it will allow the box to update it's firmware and operate as it should do!
(Otherwise it could take weeks for it to automatically update)

logiciel

Without it what wouldn't it do that it should do?:)

smjxm09

Established Member
to do a software update all you have to do is power off box, hold backup button then power back op while keeping backup button held down, in a few seconds the download software screen will come up, then let go of backup button.

Tried that and it didn't work but thanks anyway

Out of interest what is the current version of the Amstrad 1TB box?

Just in case you missed a step, here is how to do a download on a 1TB Box

1. Turn the box into "Deep Standby" by making sure it is first ON then pressing and holding the power button until the LED goes RED not Orange

2. Press and HOLD the Back Up Button

3. Press SKY on the Remote Control and continue to hold the Back Up button for anything upto 10 seconds until the 4 LED's on the front light up

If these steps are done correctly then it should do a download correctly

Nick

Thanks Nick but that is what I did

Last edited by a moderator:

logiciel

There's only one current Sky PVR, formerly called Amstrad, in the two versions, with a 1.5tB or a 500gB hard drive.
What version are you asking about?

electricseamus

Established Member
The 1TB box is notoriously difficult to put into download mode. What you're doing is correct, the problem is with the backup button, when you press it its actually pressing other buttons too. I managed to do it by finding the perfect place to press and not holding it too hard.

logiciel

And what did yours do better after you'd done it? :)

electricseamus

Established Member
Nothing to my knowledge. I'm with you on the unnecessary download thing. Although I'm sure updates are supposed to improve things, so as S N says, the box may well have been sitting in a warehouse for some time and may help performance if the latest software is in the box. Not sure how quick and automatic the box will update itself if left without a forced update.

On balance, I would say, each to their own.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom