• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Cant update security

quigonjay

Standard Member
hi guys, wonder if anyone could help me with a computer security problem i am having
i can not update any of my security programs, antivir antivirus, commodo firewall and ad aware personel se
they all say they can not connect to the internet so thinking maybe i have a virus or something
any ideas what to check first?
running xp btw
thanks
Jay

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Are they being blocked by the Windows firewall?
BTW I use the free version of Zone Alarm, much easier to configure.

Singh400

Distinguished Member
Sounds like a firewall is blocking them. Do you any other firewall software? If so, disable it and try to update then.

CP-PC

im assuming the troublesome pc is plugged into the net and you can do normal web browsing?

sounds like a firewall problem to me aswell.
if there is nothing in any of the settings that stick out to you then you can try un-installing and re-installing your troublesome programs and see if that helps, if you dont want to do that you can try resetting all the troublesome programs to default settings (should be an option each program somewhere)

quigonjay

Standard Member
i only have the one firwall installed - comodo firewall pro
i did actually try turning it off but noting was different
i also tried re-insatalling my anti virus but as it was still the same i didnt bother trying with the others
never had any other problem with the internet except the not being able to update thing

CP-PC

was there a specific point in time that you remember NOT being able to update??
was it just after you installed something? or has it always been like this?

quigonjay

Standard Member
i was actually thinking this earlier and i dont really have a clue to be honest, DOH!
they have always been on automatic update and once i realised i hadnt seen anything update for a while, i tried manually and discovered i couldnt update anything
no telling how long it had been like this so have no idea if it was after installing anything
sorry, not being very helpful am i

funkyspider

You could try using TCPView from SysInternals. This will show you all connections and endpoints.

TCPView for Windows

Run that with very few other programs running and you will see all current open connections. Start an update process by one of the programs which are failing and you may see a connection attempt start. You should then be able to work out what port it is attempting to use. This may give you a starting point to check what is blocking the port.

You may also spot other processes in there which you are not sure why they have a port open.

In addition, when you have switched the firewall off completely (for a short time!) then your PC should be completely visible. To check this you can use shields-up which is an online port probing utiity which we usually use to check that your PC is 'stealthed' by the firewall.

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

If you run a scan and your PC ports are still not visible when the firewall is off then it's likely that there is another firewall in action somewhere. Possibly on your router if you have one.

As an aside, I recommend everyone gives Shields-Up a try, just to make sure your firewall is working as effectively as it should be :smashin:

You can also check the 'hosts' file to make sure that it has not been 'attacked' and a redirect line inserted by something. Just google 'hosts file' windows XP (or vista..). There should be very little in there as a rule. If you need to make changes to the hosts file remember that the file has no file extension. It's just called 'hosts'. Notepad often tries to stick '.txt' on the end. So you need to be showing file extensions in explorer and make sure the saved file hasn't got one

Last edited:

quigonjay

Standard Member
hi mate thanks for the reply
i am in accy too, up ossy just off main road
tried running the tcp program but dont know what the results mean
sorry, stil pretty new to most of this
thanks
Jay

quigonjay

Standard Member
ok, had a bit more time to spend on this today
ran the TCP programme again, only ad aware showed up in the results when trying to update, firewall and anti virus did not?
and there are items in the list i can not identify

ran sheilds up with firewall on and have perfect scurity
ran it with firewall off and 3 ports are still stealthed and the rest say off

is anyone able to identify what to do next with this information?
thanks
Jay

funkyspider

The 3 stealthed ports are likely to be locked by programs running on your PC. If you use TCPView then you will probably be able to see what these ports are being used by.

It's a bit of a strange one this.

What is the error message displayed when trying to update, it's not simply that your subscription license for updates has run out is it ?

BTW: You can download the antivir update file as a standalone to update your definitions for now

Download Avira Antivir Virus Definition File Update 7.00.07.52 [17.10.2008] Free Trial - Download the Virus Definition File to always keep Avira AntiVir up-to-date - Softpedia

Interestingly I found a thread on another forum where others were having problems with antivir and comodo firewall. Last post on this page, continuing into second page.
Antivir is one of the good AV (whether PE Classic or the - CNET Spyware, viruses, & security Forums

There's also a support forum for antivir
Startseite - Avira Support Forum

With a stickied thread "Updating problem with Vista SOLVED!"
AntiVir Personal für Windows - Avira Support Forum

quigonjay

Standard Member
i owe you a beer mate if we can get to the bottom of this, thanks for helping out

The 3 stealthed ports are likely to be locked by programs running on your PC. If you use TCPView then you will probably be able to see what these ports are being used by.

when using tcp there is quite a few items on the list and dont know how to identify which of the list are the 3 ports?
should i try and get a screen shot or copy and paste the list or something for you to have a look?

What is the error message displayed when trying to update, it's not simply that your subscription license for updates has run out is it ?

no mate, the ones i use are all free for home use
error messages when trying to update are as follows-
Antivir - "Status: Internet connection failed"
Commodo - "Error 106: Could not complete update process"
Ad Aware - "Error retrieving update"

thanks i will just download that for now

Interestingly I found a thread on another forum where others were having problems with antivir and comodo firewall. Last post on this page, continuing into second page.
Antivir is one of the good AV (whether PE Classic or the - CNET Spyware, viruses, & security Forums

There's also a support forum for antivir
Startseite - Avira Support Forum

With a stickied thread "Updating problem with Vista SOLVED!"
AntiVir Personal für Windows - Avira Support Forum

looking through the links now
thanks again mate
Jay

quigonjay

Standard Member
btw, tried un=installing again and installing newer versions where possible but stil the same.
considering i stll have internet access something is obviously stopping me from conectin go the net

tom-m

Standard Member
Just to eliminate the possibility that there is some malware lurking, download Malwarebytes anti-malware and Superantispyware and see if you can update both and do a scan.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom