Can't turn off motion smoothing, please help

brighteyes00

Novice Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a Samsung OLED 2022 model. I have gone into settings to turn off the motion blur or the 'soap opera effect' by going to picture settings - expert - Picture clarity and changed it to 'off'. For regular tv viewing, it seems to have worked. However, whenever I'm watching netflix, the blur remains. I know it's not the show, because I can watch it on another Samsung tv without having the same awful blur. Netflix has no settings for tv viewing, so its nothing I can change on their end. The other tv is a QLED. Does this inability to change it have something to do with this new tv being OLED? Does anyone know how I can turn it off?

I've also tried to change the picture clarity settings to 'custom' and put the blur and other bar down to 0, but it again makes no change.

Please someone help.

If I can't fix this, I'm going to have to return it because its driving me crazy.

On my Sony XF i had set up each input separate us there a similar thing on your Samsung?

Upvote 0
Yes there is, whilst playing the content adjust the settings and apply to current source..

Upvote 0
Yes there is, whilst playing the content adjust the settings and apply to current source..
Yes that’s what I was trying to get at. That’s how it works on my Sony 👍

Upvote 0
so the only way to access settings is to press the home button and go to settings from there. the samsung remotes are very minimal. so I can play something on netflix, but even then, to access settings i have to select 'home' and go to settings from there. and then, when i go to the picture clarity settings, its already set to where i've had it, which is off.

Upvote 0
Don’t know which TV you have but this is from the Samsung emanual
1007C17E-E7D7-4969-BE8F-50D416CDC63B.png

So select the input source you want to change then change the settings as required and then apply the settings. You can do this for each input and the TV should remember the settings when you swap inputs. Hope that helps

Upvote 0
so the only way to access settings is to press the home button and go to settings from there. the samsung remotes are very minimal. so I can play something on netflix, but even then, to access settings i have to select 'home' and go to settings from there. and then, when i go to the picture clarity settings, its already set to where i've had it, which is off.
What netflix account do you have?
And How to watch Netflix in HD video quality

Upvote 0
Don’t know which TV you have but this is from the Samsung emanual
View attachment 1867638
So select the input source you want to change then change the settings as required and then apply the settings. You can do this for each input and the TV should remember the settings when you swap inputs. Hope that helps
so the difficulty here is how to select the input source. on samsung you need to go home then to connected devices, but from there you can choose only tv and external devices.

Upvote 0
Can you not have the tv on then select one of the built in apps eg netflix adjust the settings then save them.
then do the same for Tv eg BBC and any devices connected?
that’s how it works on my Sony. I would be surprised if you couldn’t alter the settings for each hdmi and internal apps 👍

Upvote 0
Can you not have the tv on then select one of the built in apps eg netflix adjust the settings then save them.
then do the same for Tv eg BBC and any devices connected?
that’s how it works on my Sony. I would be surprised if you couldn’t alter the settings for each hdmi and internal apps 👍
from what i can tell, no. There is no way to select certain apps and change the settings for just that app. thats what I mean when I say to change any settings, I need to go to 'home' first. No matter what app i'm in, I need to leave it to change the settings.

Upvote 0
from what i can tell, no. There is no way to select certain apps and change the settings for just that app. thats what I mean when I say to change any settings, I need to go to 'home' first. No matter what app i'm in, I need to leave it to change the settings.
Ok gotcha. Mine I can only change the settings for all the apps and not individual apps.

Upvote 0
Try pausing the Netflix stream and holding down the home button? Or even the 123 button. If it's anything like my QD-OLED monitor then there are button shortcuts to get to the picture settings..

Upvote 0
Ok. I've solved this on my Samsung S90C. Play your source HDR content and pause it. Using the Samsung remote press the quick settings button on the top left (the button has a settings cog wheel and 123 under the wheel). That brings up the settings menu where you can go to all settings/picture/expert settings and turn off picture clarity settings for current source. Turning off for all sources didn't seem to work well.

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom