Can't sync music from Mac Mini to iPhone..

Tidy_Sammy

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hello guys, got a problem, trying to sync music to my iPhone 4 but it's not happening, both phone and Mac are on newest versions of relevant software. I reformatted Lion from my Mac, then put iTunes on an external HDD, but then decided against it and moved it all over to my SSD, now when I try to sync the music nothing happens, all the music on the phone remains the same.

Any help is appreciated...:)

Try clicking on a random song in iTunes and seeing if it plays on your Mac Mini. If not, a little x (I think) may appear next to it in iTunes.

If this happens then it may have lost the location of your songs.

Not sure of the best way to solve this if so. You may have to reload all of your music back into iTunes (just dragging and dropping from Finder will do this or get iTunes to search a folder).

HTH
M

Hello, thanks for your reply :)...all my music plays fine from my Mac Mini, so I'm not sure where to go from here :(

Got to iTunes > Preferences > Advanced, and check the location of the iTunes Media Folder. If it isn't the location of the folder on your internal SSD, change it to be so.

Then with iPhone connected, check the sync permissions; is it set to manually manage music, or do you have it set for full sync? What options are set to sync? Playlists? Full Library? Only checked songs?

It's at the correct folder on the SSD (Music/iTunes). It's set to only sync checked songs and video's and I'm only syncing music right now. I have only the 'Sync Music' box ticked then 'Selected playlists, albums, artist' etc.

Right click on a few random tracks and select Show In Explorer (or Finder if you're on Mac) to make sure iTunes is looking at the actual files in the correct location, instead of looking at a defunct filepath, and try playing some of the songs to make sure they work.

Then change the sync preferences - try manually manage and drag a handful of tracks onto the iPhone to see if they copy over

The songs are playing fine in finder, I've now set it to manual, I can add albums fine now it seems, I'm trying to delete all the music off the iPhone first though, but it's still leaving a few albums on there, any ideas? Thanks.

When you say in Finder, do you mean double clicking from a Finder window and playing in Quicktime (pr space to preview)? What about playing the songs in iTunes?

And when you say get music off the iphone, do you mean delete the music thats on there? You should be able to open the iPhone in iTunes (click the name of the iPhone in the left side bar, then click Music below it's name) then highlight all the music on it and press backspace to delete.

You might try now unticking Manually Manage, then on the Music tab, ticking Sync Music (and choosing eother entire library or selected playlists; your preference) and doing a sync. It might have kickstarted it to working again, rid the iPhone of it's music and put your iTunes library music on it.

Silly question - are you signed into the same iTunes account on the phone and on iTunes on the Mac too?

Just a little update, some of my albums were screwy (songs missing etc), so I've reformatted, and STILL getting the same issues, I am using the same iTunes account (only one on this computer). Just tried deleting the music as you stated and then unchecking manual and adding the songs but it says it's deleting them on the computer but it doesn't actually delete them when I check the phone....any further advice is much appreciated :(

You could always delete them on the phone by swiping right and then pressing the delete button.
A blooming long and tedious process if you have thousands of songs.
You could always try deleting one album then doing a re-sync to see if it puts it back.

Just trying to help.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom