Can't Switch from E-Arc input to Optical input on my Soundbar?

Bobby2Kills

Novice Member
Please help!
My Rig:
I have a LG SN9YG Soundbar plugged in via HDMI to the E-Arc port on my LG C1 TV.
I need to use E-Arc for the Xbox Series X, which I can't passthrough the Soundbar because I want 4k 120hz.
I have a shield plugged in to the HDMI-in on the soundbar so I can stream plex and bypass the C1 because the C1 doesn't support DTS.
I have a Panasonic UB820 which I also want to benefit from DTS with, and so I have connected this via an optical cable to the soundbar (I can turn HDMI Out audio back on on the UB820 when I want to use Atmos)

Issue:
Problem is, the soundbar only recognises the optical-in when the TV is off. Otherwise it displays E-Arc at all times (unless I'm on the shield, in which case it says HDMI)
Troubleshooting done:
  • TV turned off with soundbar left on, the soundbar plays the optical audio. As soon as the TV is on it switches to E-arc and I can't do anything about it.
  • Hdmi audio out is switched off on the UB820. If I turn off e-arc on the tv, the soundbar just switches to Arc so that's not much use.
  • If i change 'sound out' on the tv to 'use TV speaker', the soundbar still registers earc.

- On the LG Soundbar app, E-Arc and Optical are the same option, you can't switch between them!

Help would be MAJORLY appreciated with this one. It's so hard to find answers online for this sort of troubleshooting.

Literally just want to switch my soundbar from e-arc to optical without having to unplug stuff, just like every other device can switch its inputs/outputs

Bobby2Kills

Novice Member
So it appears in the manual that 'where arc and optical are in use, arc takes priority'.
How annoying. Surely a minor update in firmware could have allowed users to switch between the two

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
If both devices support eARC you can try disabling HDMI (CEC) Control on both devices as eARC does not usually require CEC whereas ARC does require CEC and is likely why your selection is being overruled.

Joe

outoftheknow

'where arc and optical are in use, arc takes priority'.
AFAIK this is standard so the behaviour is as intended.
I have a Panasonic UB820 which I also want to benefit from DTS with, and so I have connected this via an optical cable to the soundbar (I can turn HDMI Out audio back on on the UB820 when I want to use Atmos)
I may be misunderstanding but can’t you just use an HDMI switch for the Panasonic and Shield into the soundbar? Switches lose no quality and the soundbar will pass all the video the Panny can deliver I think?

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom