Question Can't stop LG C8 from auto dimming

Inferno

Distinguished Member
I have re enabled the DIMMING but I have kept the TPC OFF, and to be fair it is NOT dimming as I can notice, but this is a risk, and as it's my set I am willing to take the consequences, I also think that the LOGO DIMMING also has a dimming effect on not just logos but the whole picture, so I have also turned that off too and maybe that is why I am seeing no dimming.

I steer clear of programmes with static solid banners and logos on, I watch football and rugby but mix up the viewing as well, there is no retention showing at all and I keep the set on standby when it's not being watched so it can do the mini refreshes, all is good so far.

kurtdh

Even if they agree to do it, a replacement will do exactly the same, they're set up to do that. LG class it as a feature, not an issue.

It was driving me nuts too so I got into the service menu as described above and disabled TPC.
*WARNING* You do this at your own risk.
Follow the instructions carefully if you decide to try it!

I have no idea what the long term effects might be but it's better than putting up with the dimming as far as I'm concerned

We are talking about two different things. I am talking about what they call ANSD (auto news station dimming), and this CANNOT be turned off. I have TPC disabled and it doesn’t help. Please read the thread above and you’ll understand. Thanks.

wass1985

Banned
Well that's thrown a spanner in the works.
Was just about to buy a C9 until I read this, seeing the screen dimming all the time would drive me wild.
Basically they are hampering PQ in the hope to prevent burning, just not acceptable IMO.

kurtdh

Do not use ISF dark. Try ISF bright and it won't dim that much

Thank you! I actually tested it, and it does help, but only very slightly. Still auto dims a lot.
For example on isf dark, the picture will start off at 167 LUX. After 5 or 10 minutes, it gets down to 76 LUX.

Using ISF bright, I ran the same test. It starts off at 167 LUX. After 5 or 10 minutes, it only gets down to 102 LUX. I also tested standard, vivid, technicolor picture modes. They also seem to bottom out at 102 LUX. So as far as I can tell, isf dark actually has a lower bottom than the other modes.

Thank you for this information. After months of researching this, you're the first person to point out that the TV modes actually changes this Auto News Station Dimming algorithm. I'll now use ISF bright from now on to limit the affects of this stupid algorithm. Hopefully others with this issue will see this post and it will help them as well.

I can say that I will never purchase another LG OLED again in my entire life. The fact that they dramatically lower the brightness while watching news stations, Twitch, video games, and other content with static images, without the ability to turn off that "feature" is completely shocking to me. I almost feel like it was a bait and switch. Nobody made me aware of this before I bought my C8. The only time I'll purchase from LG again is if/when they start selling micro LED TV's that won't need auto dimming. And even then I probably won't purchase an LG due to their poor firmware/software update support of older models. I would like to find a company that does a better job updating firmware and software of their older TV's, so I know that I will continue to get support from a company and not be forced into buying a new TV every year or two.

Last edited:

Hamad138

Thank you! I actually tested it, and it does help, but only very slightly. Still auto dims a lot.
For example on isf dark, the picture will start off at 167 LUX. After 5 or 10 minutes, it gets down to 76 LUX.

Using ISF bright, I ran the same test. It starts off at 167 LUX. After 5 or 10 minutes, it only gets down to 102 LUX. I also tested standard, vivid, technicolor picture modes. They also seem to bottom out at 102 LUX. So as far as I can tell, isf dark actually has a lower bottom than the other modes.

Thank you for this information. After months of researching this, you're the first person to point out that the TV modes actually changes this Auto News Station Dimming algorithm. I'll now use ISF bright from now on to limit the affects of this stupid algorithm. Hopefully others with this issue will see this post and it will help them as well.

I can say that I will never purchase another LG OLED again in my entire life. The fact that they dramatically lower the brightness while watching news stations, Twitch, video games, and other content with static images, without the ability to turn off that "feature" is completely shocking to me. I almost feel like it was a bait and switch. Nobody made me aware of this before I bought my C8. The only time I'll purchase from LG again is if/when they start selling micro LED TV's that won't need auto dimming. And even then I probably won't purchase an LG due to their poor firmware/software update support of older models. I would like to find a company that does a better job updating firmware and software of their older TV's, so I know that I will continue to get support from a company and not be forced into buying a new TV every year or two.
No Problem

But LG is probably the best in software updates and dimming. Good that u don't own a Sony , way more aggressive abl then LG and u get 2 Updates in 10 years

Aparat

Standard Member
Is there any Oled manufacturer that does not have this feature? I mean any that does not dim picture on dark scenes ? Because Im not too happy about it on my c9 and if there is any other Oled I might consider replacing

Dan T

I experienced this auto-dimming in dark scenes on my older (2016) 950V and it always irked me. I've recently replaced that ageing set with a new C9 and it does the same thing. I always considered it a 'quirk' of my old TV and was somewhat surprised to find that they still do this four years later. Movies or TV shows with murky, poorly lit scenes become almost unwatchable inside a few minutes. Netflix's Ozark is a prime candidate. John Wick: Chapter 3 is another good example.

I am very strongly considering getting the above-mentioned remote control and disabling the TPC. I will probably buy it today or tomorrow unless someone can give me a reason not to. I can fully appreciate the need to protect the panels, but making dark scenes almost invisible must surely be an unintended consequence (bug) of this feature.

baux

Panasonic Oleds do not have that dimming algorithm on news stations etc. according to someone in the panasonic owners thread. I'm also annoyed with it dimming my PC desktop or newsstations on my C8 after a few minutes,which cant even be turned off in the SM. TCP off doesnt help. So I'm buying a panasonic this week.

Inferno

Distinguished Member
Panasonic Oleds do not have that dimming algorithm on news stations etc. according to someone in the panasonic owners thread. I'm also annoyed with it dimming my PC desktop or newsstations on my C8 after a few minutes,which cant even be turned off in the SM. TCP off doesnt help. So I'm buying a panasonic this week.

I wouldn't think that TCP would help it much at all!!! :rotfl:

Inferno

Distinguished Member
🤔 TCP is Antiseptic, TPC is what stops the aggressive dimming with full screen high brightness scenes, also it will seem to dim progressively more the higher your OLED light is over 50 for SDR, my set seems to me like it doesn't dim at all with any Dolby Vision or HDR content, and I have TPC Off 🤷‍♂️

Eiji

My Panasonic FZ802 (2018 model) dims when playing games or on news stations after a few minutes by about 30-40%.

It's annoying and I haven't found a way to disable it.

No such issues on my LG E7.

Inferno

Distinguished Member
Do not use ISF dark. Try ISF bright and it won't dim that much

How does that work? ISF Bright is outputting more light so IT WILL be more noticeable when it does! Pretty obvious that.

drtek

Novice Member
I noticed that the option to reset the UTT has been removed. Gonna make it harder for people to reset the timer before they sell their unit.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Cleer Audio speaker + HiFi Rose Streamer Reviews & Movie/TV Show talk
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom