1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't stop adding bits.... advise needed!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jhjerpe, Apr 6, 2003.

1. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I currently have a Pioneer 2011 and as I can't stop tweaking my set-up... I started looking around these forums and discovered Power Amplifiers. Being new to all of this, would adding a Rotel RMB 1075 (or somthing similare) and using the 2011 as the processor add anything to my current set-up? :)

Speaker etc below..... advise very welcome

2. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Oh forgot the Q200E on my equipment list.... and before any suggests a change I am very happy with it! :D

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you wanted to go into processor/poweramp setup why buy the Pioneer 2011?

Should have bought a processor in the first place.

4. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    What is it you're trying to improve?

If you don't know that ... you're just going to spend money aimlessly.

Vikki

5. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yes, it would add a Rotel RMB-1075. :D

Seriously - kick back and enjoy some DVDs. I wish I had gear like that when I was "new to all this"!!!

MuFu.

6. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    When I upgraded to the 2011 I didn't know that you could get seperates! If I had been on these forums prior to the purchase I might have spent some of my budget on this.

The main reason for thinking about a Rotel was:

a) to be able to drive 4 OHM speakers, I've got Kef surrounds which are 4 ohm, I have been assured that it shouldn't be to much of a problem as generally you don't get to much low frequency being sent to the surrounds and they are not driven 100% of the time unlike your fronts and centres. I would also like the oppertunity to upgrade my speakers in a few years time without having to worry about the capabilities of the amp etc.

b) I love the 2011, but I feel it could do with a bit more punch. I like things loud and I am at home with the whole neigbourhood is out to work.... so no complaints from next door. Will the extra 20Watts really make any difference?

c) As stated I can't stop tweaking.... same with cars, bikes, house etc....!

d) I might have an oppertunity (fingers crossed) to swap some web design services for some AV gear so I wouldn't have to pay full wack for it.... just time (and some cash)!

Cheers
    :D

7. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you really want powerful amps, checkout the Rotel 1095, 200W per channel.

The 1075 is good, but I would not use this model with very demanding speakers - Kef THX.

Or go for 2nd hand 991/993, 200W per channel. 2 channel & 3 channel respectively.

Or maybe the very high powered 2 channel 1090 (380W x2)

Or maybe Krell, etc etc etc...

8. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    The 1095 is so big I don't know where I would put it!

9. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I would say that the 1075 would in no way struggle to drive the TDM's.
    I use a single 985 (1075 predecessor) to drive 2 pairs of TDM's and i have been known to go at Dolby reference 0db.
    The 1075 being THX certified will run at a minimum ouptut of 100w per channel (ALL channels driven) 8 OR 4 ohm regardless without falling over (although if memory serves correctly i believe i read somewhere - a U.S benchtest that it managed 97w per channel all channels driven) and has ample current current to run rear channels.
    I would add that the trend for multichannel poweramps seems to have "overpowered" the rather obvious fact that these amps (or at least those at the lower end of the market) are a compromise in terms of performance/space ratio.
    Multichannel (cheaper) amps generally have poor channel crosstal separation inherent to their common component paths.
    If you want to spend money in the right direction perhaps think of a good quality 2 channel power amp for the front stereo pair, then perhaps add one for the center and one for the rears - if any compromise were to be made i would look to the rear channels (hence my 985 for 4 TDM's).
    For the record my friend runs the Kef THX (all 4 ohms) off a single 1075 and although i had reservations it has driven them without incident, although i hasten to add that i am not sure how happy it would be at 0db for any great period of time but then that argument is doubly relevent to amps like the 2011 which will not have anything like the current capacity of something like the 1075.

The 1095 is a super amp indeed and will drive most (but not all) 5 speaker packages into the ground but i would say that for that price there are several options open to you including S/H - part ex Parasounds and the like.
    The 1075 by comparison has so little competition of any kind at it's price point that it is an obvious first choice for many but is in reality the budget end of this particular market.
    For your reference (although there are many here who will scorn at such ramblings) i have, over a period of time amassed 3 Rotel rb993's, each delivering 3 x 200w (which tri-amp's each of my front 3) and a 985mk2 (which drives 4 x TDM). Recently i looked at changing these and borrowed both the Tag and new Arcam multichannel power amps (i am aware of the Bryston and Parasound but could not at that time obtain them) and whilst they were both better (I "prefered" the Arcam) i honestly felt that the 2500gbp it was going to cost me would be far better invested in another part of my HC, where i felt i could get far better gains, by cost comparison, so i still have my Rotel's! (and am currently researching PJ's instead).

Steve.

10. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Thank you for your extensive reply, gives me a few things to think about! The 1075 looked good because of the price but if there is not much sound improvement over 2011 I will look at other ways of improving the system. At the end of the day we all want the best possible sound!

I'll look into a few of the other suggestions as well.

11. paulefox

paulefox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I have a pioneer 2o11 and celestion A series speakers all round which are 4 ohm , is there a problem with using these with the amp , they seem to sound great , are they not suitable

12. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I recently upgraded to the 2011, but have some Cyrus Power amps from my old home cinema gear. I've not been able to do blind comparisons, can't find a mug to change all the cabling over for me, but to me the 2011 is improved even by the addition of these modest power amps. That said, the 2011 plus the amps still, to me, can't match my old AV5 when attached to the same amps and speakers.

13. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    According to the Pioneer manual the 2011 should be used with speaker with an impdance of 8 - 16 ohm, you can switch it to 6 ohm by holding down the speaker a/b button when switching it on. I contacted Prioneer and was told that although 4 ohm speakers will work there is a risk that the amp / speakers can be damaged. How / why I don't know as I do not understand impdance despite reading a number of threads on it.

Maybe someone with a bit more experience could explain / clarify the impact of running 4 ohm speakers with an amp such as the 2011? Please :)

14. Brad_Porter

Brad_Porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right, I'm no expert but here it goes in layman's terms.

The lower the impedance of the speaker, the more power it will demand from the amplifier. An amplifier is built to deliver a certain amount of power. 4Ohm speakers will work with your pioneer 2011, but at medium - high levels, your speakers are going to be asking a lot more from your amp then it can deliver. Thus putting strain on the amp which in turn will add distortion and, in extreme cases, blow the amp trip or hurt your speakers.

Does that make sense?

15. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    As you say, only your rears are 4 ohm and assuming they are set to "small" - you have a sub - the Pioneer will be fine driving them and all but the highest levels IMO.

If you want more power, sell the Pioneer NOW (they are in very short supply and you'll get close to full price) and go for Rotel pre/power setup. :)

16. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    What like buying a HTPC :D

Only joking

17. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Peter.

Yes, that's very good - i have a faint idea of what you are getting at.
    I have no doubt that in absolute performance terms an HTPC is the way to go, but is this in relation to more and more expensive PJ's?
    I have also observed the myriad of configurations, dongle this, driver that, is this actually fun/enjoyable?
    There must still be something in just sticking ia disc in a player and sitting back and forgetting about it.
    Am i being an idiot in saying this?
    My personal experience of P.C's is just HORENDOUS and i am at the limit of my understanding (or more accurately WANTING to understand) with the most rudimentary applications in Windows 98.
    My very good friend once told me that the fastest way to gray hair is to get involved with P.C's - and i am inclined to agree with. Don't misunderstand me i am familiar and use various engineering/design applications/software for work but the machines themselves are forever having conflicts this and device not seen that it bl**dy upsets me so.
    Is HTPC really that streamlined yet or is it "a labour of love" to obtain desired results?

Steve.

18. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Watch this space and I'll keep you posted :D