1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't Stay Connected to Xbox Live

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by ZapBrannigan81, Feb 3, 2005.

1. ZapBrannigan81

ZapBrannigan81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All,

I am having real problems staying connected to Xbox Live. I can log in fine and find other players without a problem, I am even yet to experience any real lag problems BUT I can't stay connected for longer than about 15 minutes! (it is alway the same length of time)

I generally play PES4.

All my settings (NT, MT, IC etc are all within the normal range).

I am using a wireless netgear router (WGR614v2) with the latest firmware, the appropriate ports are forwarded and UPnP is on.... I'm really struggling to figure out what is going on. :confused:

Anyone had this problem and know the solution?

Any help greatfully received.

2. bigNeil

bigNeil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Zap,

I was having trouble with being temporarily dropped from Halo 2 games 2 or 3 times per game. I have a Netgear DG834G. Power Cycling the router did the trick. Basically unplug it and leave it off for about 10-15 minutes. The plug it back in and the reboot may get rid of any bugs.

May not be the problem, but worth a go...

3. bigNeil

bigNeil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    BTW, never played PES 4, but I've heard a lot of guys have huge lag problems with that game, despite there being a recent patch to supposedly solve it. Does the same thing happen with other games?

4. ZapBrannigan81

ZapBrannigan81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Big Neil,

Cheers for the advice mate I will give it a try tonight. As for other games I'm not all that sure, this problem has been bugging me so much I have concentrated on trying to fix it. But to be honest I have yet to experience any bad lag with the game (i've got the patch and a 512kb connection), so am fairly happy so far!

5. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,340
    Yeah, I'd just back up what Neil recommends - to power cycle the router. I used to have a DG834G and this often solved alot of problems. I don't see the value in leaving it off for more than 5-10 secs though, if it only worked after being left off for 10-15 minutes, I'd suggest the router is overheating.

And as regards lag on PES4 - yes, some are stil having lag difficulties, but the majority aren't - I know I don't have problems. The thing is those that are having problems are heard most often as they (rightly) complain. Don't think the game is flawed, as I'm still lovin' it...

6. ZapBrannigan81

ZapBrannigan81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a quick update for any of you interested. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get the router to work with the power cycling, it will still disconnect from xbox live after 15 mins.

I'm going to try and play straight from the modem to se if it is the router or the ISP (Pipex).

I'll let you know.

7. bigNeil

bigNeil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm sorry you're still having trouble. I 100% recommend going to the xbox.com UK Live Forum here (sign in using .net) and ask for a guy called Ceesar to give you a hand. He's the networking guru and knows everything about everything.

8. ZapBrannigan81

ZapBrannigan81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fellow Gamers,

I have (finally) had a reply from Pipex who have suggested I put the Idle Time-out on my Router to Zero as apparently Xbox live does not go through the router like normal internet traffic, therefore the router may think it isn't doing anything.

This sounds promising, but only a good testing will find out.

I'll report back with results.

PS. Thanks for the tip BigNeil, if this doesn't work, I'll be straight there!

9. DarkEntity

DarkEntity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    im assuming its not somethiong daft like loosing signal?

10. ZapBrannigan81

ZapBrannigan81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately it isn't that simple! But thanks for the questioning anyway.

I tried the suggested Idle time out thing only to find that I don't actually have that setting on my router (or at least its not user changeable) so it looks I am stuck for a bit longer.

Next stop, xbox forum to beg for some help from the mighty Ceesar!

Thanx.

11. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +203
    Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel. It's probably on 11 but maybe try 6?

Try here
    I seem to remember reading about the v2 and icompatability with some modems.

Good luck

12. oldman100

oldman100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Hi, your forum / post came up in my Google search regarding disconnection problems with XBOX LIVE and my DG834 router.

I read with interest how you said switching the router on and off seems to cure the problem. This problem has been doing my head in for a few weeks now and last night I was disconnected no less than 3 times in an hour whilst hosting a Call of Duty game. But upon switching off the the router for ten seconds I had a trouble free couple of hours.

Could this be the solution??????

I just wondered if you've got any more advice, I've also set up a DMZ for my XBOX too.

thanx

13. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +203
    Try the latest firmware if you aren't already using it, and assuming you have the DG834G and not the GT - it's much more stable and a great improvement. Nothing but good reports so far, I think it's 2.10 but don't quote me on that as I don't have that router.

Other things - try a different broadcast channel, scan for syware, try port forwarding as well as DMZ and don't forget to add the IP and MAC in IP LAN setup.

14. oldman100

oldman100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    My DG834 (no mention of any other letters) is using firmware 1.05 which is the latest not counting the Beta Firmware Version 2.10.09.

So I've got the latest stable version. As for the other advice not being a techy I am unsure how to do the port forwarding even though I managed to set-up a DMZ.

Do you think power cycling every so often should clear the fault????

15. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +203
    Are you definitely using wireless to connect to xbox live? It would just help to know which model.

Most sites that deal with getting the very best from your internet connection recommend you power cycle your router once a week, leaving it off for at least 15 minutes.
    It might clear the fault but it is something you should be doing anyway regardles of xbox live.

A couple of months ago I had regular disconnections which turned out to be a faulty length of cat5....

You could also take a look at your line attenuation and SNR figures which should be found on your web config page, high line att' and low SNR can lead to line problems.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help but diagnosing networking problems can be a right pain.

16. oldman100

oldman100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    cheers Spike for your efforts mate, my DG834 in not wireless the wireless version is subfixed with a G I think.

will continue to Power Cycle so see it that improves things. :thumbsup:

17. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +203
    No problem.
    Post back if the disconnections persist. The fact that it isn't wireless makes it a bit easier to diagnose.

18. oldman100

oldman100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    :eek: IT'S STILL HAPPENING, After 20 -30 mins on Live I get disconnected. I've had BT check my line, they say it's fine.

The next step could be to borrow a friends XBOX and see if the same thing happens.

Ideas :lease:

19. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +203
    That's a good start.

Do you get any error messages on your screen when this happens?
    You should have a log facility with the router, what does it say around the time of the disconnection?
    It could be a whole load of things but you could start by changing the cable to Xbox and using a decent microfilter if you haven't already done this.
    I'm afraid it will be a process of elimination but we'll get there :)

20. oldman100

oldman100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Cheers Spike,

I think this could prove an expensive process of elinination, bought new 15m ethernet cable for router to XBOX connection yesterday but no change. :(

Power cycleing the DG834 router prior to LIVE play, also tried reboot from the diagnostic screen.

Currently running BT Microfilters which seem fine, will try disconnected all phones that are on the line to see if that makes a difference.

Tried XBOX technial helpl line too last night and they went through all the XBOX dashboard settings which check out perfect, but of course they've never had an XBOX returned for this reason so it's go to be my line.

Blimey wha telse is left for me to try apart from borrow a mates XBOX.

21. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +203
    I'd be surprised if it was the Xbox but you never know, it's worth a try.
    Definitely try disconnecting the phones particularly if you are using Sky and you say "phones" - you are using microfilters on each device connected to each phone socket? (please don't take this as patronising)

I'd still like to see a copy of the router log as it may tell us the reason for the disconnections, whether it's just when you are using XBL or at other times as well.
    Another thing is to try one of the beta versions of router firmware available now for the DG834. There's quite a lot they have improved and their track record on firmware upgrade improvements and stability is pretty good.
    I'm currently using a DG834GT on beta firmware and it been up for over 500 hours without a single problem.
    There still alot we can try yet so don't give up hope :)

22. oldman100

oldman100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Patronising no chance your trying to help and it's appreciated. OK What we've got is phone socket then extension 10m, then one microfilter with ADSL to router and phone lines continues to a phone and a fax. That's it, Sky is on the other line in the house.

Found the router log, right what do you want me do next time I get disconnnected? To optimize bandwith I never have the PC on at the same time as LIVE but I guess the log on the router will still record yes?

I'm using the very latest beta versions of router firmware V2.10.17 for DG834.

I also used the reboot router option the other day not sure is this the same as Power Cycling the DG834.

Again your help is appreciated.

23. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +203
    Yes the router log will be updated regardless of the PC, as long as you have all of the options ticked in "Include in Log"
    Next time you are disconnected on XBL, note the time and view the log at around that time and date and we might get an idea of where the problem lies.

I think it would be a good idea to disconnect your Sky box and definitely the phone / fax the next time you are on XBL if it's convenient to do this.
    I'm wondering whether the fax might be the problem at the moment.
    No. Switch it off at the mains, preferably for 15 mins but really you only need to do this once a week.

24. oldman100

oldman100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    will do Spike, I'll be on LIVE tonight for a few hours so will pass on swapping Boxes with a mate for tonight and try minus the fax machine.

Sky is on the other telephone line into the house so that's never been on the ADSL line.

Fax could be a problem, I'll try without it tonight.

Incidently are you on XBOX LIVE??

25. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +203
    Ok, lets hope you have no problems tonight then :)
    And yes I am on XBL, just changed my gamertag to....

I SPIKE I

26. oldman100

oldman100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    OK fairly good news :thumbsup:

After 3 hrs and 20 mins play last night only one minor blemish.. well more of a XBOX lock up on Call of Duty than a log off, everything froze which nescessitated switching XBOX off / on, no running around turning routers off and heading to dashborad etc so I think that was just a bit of bad luck really.

I unplugged the PC fax line and my external fax machine, I wonder if these are the cause only time will tell I guess, everything seemed to go without a problem apart from above. :clap:

Upon checking the router log this morning nothing is logged after switching off my PC last night prior to XBOX LIVE play, nothing at all and I have all the available options checked see below....

Attempted access to blocked sites
    Connections to the Web-based interface of this Router
    Router operation (start up, get time etc)
    Known DoS attacks and Port Scans

...... but nothing was logged with regard to the LIVE activity, is this right??

Will be on again mid week for session so will continue to monitor the situation. :smashin: :thumbsdow time will tell.

My Tag is TR8MAN.

27. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +203
    Nothing to worry about. Just make a note of anything logged if you have anymore disconnections.

28. oldman100

oldman100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    :thumbsup: well trials are proving successfull no dis-connections after two evenings of LIVE play.

:eek: the fax machine looks like the cause, how odd, one to log in the knowledge database I guess.

:oops: hope I haven't spoke too soon, we'll see.

thanx again Spike see u on LIVE sometime.

29. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +203
    No problem mate, fingers crossed eh?
    I remember reading that fax machines can cause a blip on telephone lines, let's hope that this is the cause.

I'll add your tag :)