Cant seem to enable 3D on my samsung

tomregan1985

Standard Member
Reaction score
just setup my Samsung PS51E490 and for £500 im more then happy with it.

My problem is the only way i have of playing a 3d blu ray is via my pc.
When i play avatar i select the 3d option and drag it over to the TV. I was hoping the Tv would auto detect it was a 3d image but it doesnt.

I have 3 3d options 2d-3d ,Side by Side and one above the other. I have tried all of those and it doesnt seem to work:rolleyes: The imagine still has a kind of red tinge to it.

sorry should have given a few more details, im going from a dvi pc to hdmi to TV. Its only a hdmi 1.3 cable but people seem to says it still works but you may lose quality thats all?. my pc is an intel I7 and a ATI HD 2600HT . The software im using is total media theatre 5

I was hoping more learned would have replied.
I assume you have set the pc screen to a HDMI recognised size probably 720p (1280 x 720 ). Duplicate display or monitor only.
Try playing a youtube side by side 3D clip in full screen directly to test workings.
Long time since i played anything from PC, so sketchy.

yeh i have the Tv setup to its own resolution ect , i tried a few side by side youtube clips and they worked.

When i play the 3d blu ray its not in a Side by side format, is that how it should be displaying?

When i play the 3d blu ray its not in a Side by side format, is that how it should be displaying?
3D BRs don't show up in SBS, and don't bring up the three options - they just play, or in this case they don't.
I haven't come across a computer BR player that's equipped for 3D so are you sure yours is?
That red tinge does rather suggest that it's not a 3D BR.
Also a 1.4 HDMI cable might be better anyway.

Last edited:
The Blu ray is 100% 3d i ripped it as a image to use over my home network and save buying 2-3 blu ray players.

Anyway it seems my PC is 3D ready so i just need to figure a way to enable 3d in the media player. I imagine it defaults to non 3d as it opens on my monitor first which isnt 3D.

In the option i should select Side By Side 3D correct?

In the option i should select Side By Side 3D correct?
No; a blu-ray should play transparently - aside from some players offering the 2D or 3D option.

I'm don't know why you don't just purchase (another?) 3D player from the likes of Amazon or eBay as they aren't that expensive and the bonus then.is you free up your PC to do other stuff (which it certainly wont be doing if driving your TV directly!)

You can play SBS material very efficiently if you use your Samsung as a DLNA client (they're good at that) and then configure your PC as a DLNA server (just runs in the background so can be used for other tasks too). You just need to make your TV part of your network i.e. just plug it into your router.

You should only check 'Side by Side' if you see two pictures 'Side by Side' on the display. This option will then 'blend' both pictures into one blurry one. If you only have one video then it means either it's already displaying in 3D which blu-rays should do automatically as suggested above or your rip didn't work. I've read a lot of 3D rips are done wrong and that some pictures can be back to front or left and right are mixed up or some haven't even converted at all and show in 2D.

I'd try ripping the disc again and maybe try different software such as DVDfab

well i have also tried it by just playing the disk just incase the RIP didnt work and that didnt seem to make any change. I could go down the DNLA route but i have it already setup to work with XBMC so i kind of want to keep it all together.

What i have done is ordered a new card GeForce GT 610 which has full Blu ray 3D playback and HDMI 1.4 and also ordered a 1.4 cable. Will report back once i have it installed

Yes, that should fix it if anything will.
I'm with J S though - I couldn't do with the hassle of playing things through a computer - and using up its processor power - when 3D BR players are so cheap and convenient.

Am I missing something, or does that TV only do 1024 x 768? Would that not be a problem?

ok update, i have my new graphics card installed and it now seems to be playing in 3D on the tv.

however it doesn't seem to be auto detecting it. if i just to turn 3d on i don't get the option i need just 2d-3d, side by side, top and bottom. i have tried setting the source to PC-DVI and that didnt work. i turn the glasses on and that doesn't work. out of ideas!
is there an option to auto detect 3d that i need to turn on?

How does it "seem(s) to be playing in 3D" if "that doesn't work"?:confused:
The auto detect function often doesn't work.
If you're playing SBS material you press the 3D button and select OK, then select SBS.
If it's 3D BR type material you power on the glasses and watch it.

well its like a normal blu ray but blurry that would be the best way to describe it i guess, its looks fine on some scene's then when it play what i think are 3d scenes it becomes blurry. I now select 3D mode when in the blu ray menu and it doesnt give me any warning nor does it do the red blue type 3d.

Its not side by side so that doesnt work and when i turn my 3d glasses on it tells me my glasses are on but thats about it.

One of the most difficult things you can do with a 3D TV is to attempt to drive it properly from a PC (with frame packed 3D being the most difficult of all)

I can't tell you what your exact problem is but some of us have offered alternative solutions effectively guaranteed to work - if your goal is to simply watch 3D.

well i can watch 3d if its on side by side but thats not getting the full use of the setup ie my 3d blu ray collection.

I could go out and buy a stand alone 3d blu ray player but the idea is that my movie collection can be watched anywhere in the house. At the moment i am i the only one with a 3d but this will be changing over the xmas period.

Dont want to give a big sob story but the reason i want everything to go via pc and in my case xbmc is because my younger sister sadly has to spend most of the life in the house and doesnt have much use of her body ie cant get out of bed. so its nice if she can control what she want to watch without having to call me in for example sorry a bit of topic:rolleyes:.

So i guess if i have everything setup, 3d ready graphics card, hdmi 1.4a cable and a 3d blu ray reader and disk the tv should auto detect its getting a 3d picture? And there is no way to enable auto detect?

Changing the source name from pc-dvi to blu ray ect will not change anything to do with 3d?

Dont want to give a big sob story but the reason i want everything to go via pc and in my case xbmc is because my younger sister sadly has to spend most of the life in the house and doesnt have much use of her body ie cant get out of bed. so its nice if she can control what she want to watch without having to call me in for example sorry a bit of topic:rolleyes:.
Seems a pretty good reason to me :smashin:

I can see your attraction to XBMC but personally I'd go DLNA which means your sister can play anything she wants just using the remote (smart apps too if your set supports it). Obviously any 3D material would need to be SBS but can't see that bothering the vast majority of people. Also, the file-server can stay downstairs.

The problem as I see it is your Samsung can be an DLNA client (also iPlayer, LoveFilm, Plex etc) but not an XBMC client.

Last edited:
i just know xbmc well thats why i use it, i have bbc iplayer ect on it you can also play blu rays ect you just need to add a little code which enables TotalMedia Theatre 5 but im staying away from that for now as i am trying to narrow down my 3d problem. The server which store's all the data in in my room as i dont really use it as a pc as such

The tv doesnt support smart apps ect so over DNLA its just going to be a big list of films where as she and i prefer to see the synopsis, trailer, cover and so on. My collection is rather large!

Ive just had Ocean Wonderland 3d delivered at work so when i get home i will give that a try and hope that its just a avatar problem. ive also got a few settings to test on the nvidia settings which may help.

my tv is only 720p 1080i so i guess the difference between side by side and normal 3d would be small on my tv

Last edited:
well i can watch 3d if its on side by side but thats not getting the full use of the setup ie my 3d blu ray collection
The way to get full use of the 3D BRs is to play them in a 3D BR player.;)
I see now that your setup is an unusual and complex one, for good reasons, and I'd suggest that the best way of solving the problem would be to work out a way of incorporating a normal player into it.

would you say from this that i need more software from nvidia or should the player have all the 3d software built in?i have installed the latest drivers ect from nvidia

Untitled.png

For playing blu ray the software should have all software necessary.
Has drive latest firmware installed.
Try downloading windvd pro
From what you are listing appears the software is not getting correct information.
What is setup.
Does 2D play ok.
Google XBMC 3D and read forum information. Interesting reading.
For information E490 will accept B R 1080P @ 24P via HDMI 1.4

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom