1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't see my burned files on my computer

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by andru, Dec 11, 2003.

1. andru

andru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have copied my camcorder film to dvd-rw with my jvc dm1 and it plays back fine on the player,yet when i put it into my computer it is not reconised.I have read allmost every thread in the forum and have not recieved any advice on this.If i open up the dvd-rw in explorer it is just empty.How can i get windows to see the files so i can edit them.I use windows xp sp1 and ntfs files system.

Thanks

2. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

Check the sticky post at the top of this forum regarding DVD-RAM and PC Editing, this should have the answer in it somewhere.

Regards

Philip

3. Slix

Slix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Philip,

The sticky post won't help I'm afraid - I know as I've been through the same problems myself after getting a Sony GX3 last week.

Basically, you're problem is that Windows Xp doesn't support the UDF 2.0 file system these recorders apparently use. There is an artical on the Microsoft Knowledge base which describes the problem - which may be fixed in SP2.

So, you need UDF reader software - and there are a couple of options:

Instant Read from Pinnacle Systems (available here - http://www.pinnaclesys.com/docsuppo...id=2&product_id=1154&product_name=&page_id=62).

or

ReadDVD from softarck (available here - http://www.softarch.com/pioneer/readdvd.html).

Both are free (the latter, technically. only if you have a pioneer DVD burner in your PC).

Once one of them is installed you will be able to see the contents of your burned DVD-RW disks.

You will then probably hit the same problem I did - i.e. no sofrtware will actually be able to do anything with them!

Just in case that's true for you, you could try my solution - record in Video mode (as opposed to VR) and use TMPENC's DVD Author (mentioned in the sticky referred to above) to do edits and re-burn.

Have fun!

4. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    TMPEnc Dvd Author can handle VR mode stuff too.

5. Slix

Slix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bobones,

It won't on my machine for some reason :confused:

I can only assume that there are, in fact, different flavours of 'VR Mode' - and the version used by Sony is not fully compliant with the 'standard' (if there is such a thing). Either that or it's possible that -RAM VR mode is different from -RW VR mode.

I also downloaded a trial of Ulead Videostudio 7, which claims VR mode compatibility, but I had no luck with that either.

I'd be interested to know what other -RW users have experienced - is it just a Sony thing?!?

6. andru

andru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks that pioneer readvd link i cannot get onto could you possible send me the program through email if it is small enough.I did record in vr mode so now i will format the disc again and record it in video mode.Do i have to finakise the disc or just leave it as it is?

Thanks

7. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

If you read the requirements for these software packages they state you need UDF version 2 support via drivers. These packages do not come with UDF drivers.

The Sony machine will use the standard VR mode, these machines are test by the DVD Forum for compatibility.

Are you sure your PC DVD reader supports DVD-RW media?

If it doesn't work with a Video mode disc then I would suggest your writer doesn't like RW discs very much.

You must finalise the DVD-RW Video mode disc before it will be readable on your computer.

Regards

Philip

8. andru

andru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    just doing that now a new copy in video format i'll try it without finalising it then if it doesn't work i'll finalise it and try again.I'm determined to get this to work!

9. andru

andru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Staring to get desperate now.Just formatted in video mode and put same family film onto dvd-rw and still cannot see anything on it.DVD2One,dvd decrypter and Tmpgeg DVD all say the disc is empty!But i can still play it on the jvc recorder!Surely there must be an easier way to edit these files.

10. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

Have you finalised the disc?

Does the disc play in other DVD Players?

Have you tried restarting your computer?

What type of DVD-ROM Reader do you have in the computer?

Regards

Philip

11. Slix

Slix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK - things are becoming clearer.

I initially loaded ReadDVD before trying to access any VR mode files using DVD Author, Videostudio etc. This is a UDF 2 reader, and is often recommended in this vein, but whilst it allowed me to view the files in explorer, it didn't let me load them into any editing program - even if the .vro was copied to the hard drive and renamed as .mpg.

Oh, and I've got a pioneer A04 DVD-RW burner in my PC, so the format shouldn't be an issue.

I've just uninstalled ReadDVD and installed Pinnacle's Instant Read - and now things are getting better. I can access the VR mode disk in DVD Author and it seems fine. Haven't got much further yet - haven't had the time.

Andru - I think you really need to get the pinnacle software - I can't mail it to you as it's over 5 megs.

Incidentally, in video mode I had to finalise to be able to read with ReadDVD, but the VR mode disk I've just read using Instant Read has not been finalised.

12. Slix

Slix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    update.

.VRO files copied to hard drive and renamed as .mpg can now be opened with videostudio and pinnacle Studio 8.

Clearly the pinnacle UDF reader is the way to go!