Can't see files via media streaming on PS3

leamspaceman

Distinguished Member
I've got my PS3 set-up and connected to my home network and I want to use it as a media streamer. However, I'm having problems.

My PS3 searches for media and picks up my PC without issue. I then go into this and can find all the folders on my PC that contain media. So I navigate through the folders until I get to the one that contains the songs/movies/photos etc that I want to play/view. Upon opening the folders though, it just says "there are no tracks."

As I've said, the PS3 picks up all the folders on my PC but not individual files within those folders?

Do the files have to be named a certain way or stored in a certain location? I have the PS3 selected as an 'unknown device' on the network.

Can anyone help?

leamspaceman

Distinguished Member
Sorry to suggest the obvious, but you are looking for music tracks under the Music area of the XMB ?

Yes, I am. I just get to a folder with files in it and it says "there are no tracks." This happens with music/movies/pictures...nothing shows up as a file for viewing/listening.

Anyone have any ideas:confused:

ThuGLy

if you could go back into the start of your p.c connection on the ps3 and press triangle to display all maybe? what are you streaming it with i.e wmp/ps3 media server etc..

alan8477

I think there is a limit to the number of directory levels you can go down. Can't remember whether it is 6 or 8.

Uridium

Distinguished Member
I think there is a limit to the number of directory levels you can go down. Can't remember whether it is 6 or 8.

Yes think that is probably the problem the OP is having. The PS3 has a folder depth limit of 7 folders when streaming from DLNA server.

The other thing it could possibly be is that it sounds like the OP is streaming using Windows Media Player. If so then WMP will only stream files it natively supports. Even if WMP on the PC sees the file you need to make sure it can play it. If it won't play back within WMP then it won't show it over DLNA when you try to stream it.

Last edited:

leamspaceman

Distinguished Member
Yes think that is probably the problem the OP is having. The PS3 has a folder depth limit of 7 folders when streaming from DLNA server.

The other thing it could possibly be is that it sounds like the OP is streaming using Windows Media Player. If so then WMP will only stream files it natively supports. Even if WMP on the PC sees the file you need to make sure it can play it. If it won't play back within WMP then it won't show it over DLNA when you try to stream it.

I don't go down to seven levels...three at most.

I think you may have solved the problem I'm having with you comment about WMP. Maybe I should use TVersity? Used to use that with my 360:smashin:

ckriel

Standard Member
I am having precisely the same problem, but with both Windows Media Player AND PS3 Media Server. Help! :lease:

Uridium

Distinguished Member
I am having precisely the same problem, but with both Windows Media Player AND PS3 Media Server. Help! :lease:
If PS3 Media server is listing the folders OK but no files I'd try the following

1) Obvious i know but make sure you are in the correct section in the PS3 XMB, i.e. In video section when trying to watch a video. I tried watching a video countless times and seen "no files" popup then realised i was in the XMB under Muisic or Photos :rolleyes:

2) check folder depth is no more than 7 deep. Once you get past the 7th folder deep it will just say no files.

3) Check Windows NTFS permissions on the Video files. Make sure "everyone" group has at least Read and Execute permissions. Windows 7 beta/RC in particular has a nasty habit of changing the permissions to local PC and homegroup users only on all your folders full of media if you add the folders to a homegroup library

4) Temporarily disable ALL software firewalls on the PC (including the Windows one)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: REL T9/X Subwoofer + Bowers & Wilkins PI7 Reviews, AV Shows in a Pandemic and more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom