Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Can't reinstall Norton Firewall

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Steve1138, Jul 10, 2003.

1. Steve1138

Steve1138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now I have ADSL, I bought Norton Personal Firewall (by download).
    First installed on the Home PC (coonected to ADSL modem / wireless LAN)... HCPC will connect by wireless to this.

Had to do a System Restore, but now have to re-install Norton Personal Firewall, but it just won't stay installed...
    every time, it gets to the end of the install and then goes into "Rolling back..." and deinstalls the whole thing again.

There's a Norton de-inst utility, which I downloaded and used... re-boot... re-install >> same crap again.. deinstalls itself.
    Tried deactivating the network / ADSL... no effect.

Stupid thing is, I had to re-install it once already just over a week ago but I've totally forgotten what I did. (I started keeping records now...)

any ideas ?

Steve

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had that problem... this is what order I installed things on how I got the same problem.

Windows 2000
    PC-Cillin Antivirus 2002
    Windows Service Pack 3
    Uninstalled PC-Cillin, wipe dir & temp folders
    Installed PC-Cillin 2003- same fault as yours, 99% done then rolls back.

Solution? Reinstall Windows 2000, install SP3 first (and IE 6 SP1) THEN install PC-Cillin 2003 last.

Not much help I know.

3. gab2001uk

gab2001uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    With norton IS 2002/2003 Even though you registered it once, you have to go through the whole process again. If you do not go through the registrtion process, it rolls back and will not install.

4. Steve1138

Steve1138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this is really 'sucky'

It didn't even ask me if I wanted to register.
    I must have tried it a dozen times last night (Graham) after I called you..

Have found some 'flaming' comments about Norton on the net, and some that said NPF wasn't very good under XP.. and that Zone Alarm was better (and free)

I did two system restore's last night to try and get it back but still failed (so have lost some of the other updates made since those Restore points were created).

There's Knowl.Base articles on their site about the "Rolling Back Action" problem... and theres a dozen differnet reasons for it. It could take all weekend and still not be fixed.

It stinks.

Steve

5. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Every cloud has a silver lining. I've just deinstalled norton and installed zone alarm (free) because norton was slowing my system down quite a bit on web access. MAybe you should try that...

6. Steve1138

Steve1138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK Now I've fixed THIS ONE, too

I'd downloaded the installation files at work (faster connection) and copied from the laptop to my Home PC.
    First install worked fine, but it always auto-deleted the inst files after the install.
    Then with the "Rolling back action" issue on every subsequent re-install attempt, it did the same thing... removed the whole install and deleted the inst files.
    So I always re-copied the install files again from a reserve backup location.

Afer several days fighting it, I initiated a fresh download to my Home PC direct (now I have the ADSL installed but now only running with XP built in firewall protection)
    ...and then it worked first time !!

maybe the install files, once downloaded, have to be somehow "registered" on the PC for a successfull installation

Steve