• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Can't play some disks on Samsung BD-P1000

W

WGalex

Can't play some disks on Samsung BD-P1000 - for example "Planet Earth" and "300". Tray opened automaticaly and I see only "This disk cannot be played" :( Does anybody have this problem too ? Is there any solution ?

PS: firmware version is 1.2, I tried UK and US

Nic Rhodes

Distinguished Member
re do the firmwares but first power down the machine and power up and re try the 'problem' discs.

Glenzo

Established Member
Is this player the complete disaster many have made it out to be?

It's only out from the start of the year at £999 now it's available for £269+

It does look aesthetically pleasing and a nice match for your Samsung Plasma/LCD.

How does it perform really? Online reviews have hammered it, though I've seen many products being hammered only to discover they perform great, like my Samsung PS42S5HD which with a little patience and calibration is a great SD/HD set (needs good DVD player though).

Comments appreciated.

Avi

Distinguished Member

It does look aesthetically pleasing and a nice match for your Samsung Plasma/LCD.

How does it perform really? Online reviews have hammered it, though I've seen many products being hammered only to discover they perform great, like my Samsung PS42S5HD which with a little patience and calibration is a great SD/HD set (needs good DVD player though).

Comments appreciated.

Glenzo

I think the gereral view is that following software updates the player improved in terms of Blu-ray PQ performance. In addition at £999 is was way over priced for its specification i.e. limited HD audio support, not great at 1080p, no 1080p/24, slow loading (over 2 mins) with BD-J titles etc

Have you thought about a PS3 or looked at the new Samsung models that start from just over £300 (BD-P1400). There's even a new Samsung dual HD DVD/Blu-ray player at just over £500. Just be aware that most current players will not support soon to be mandatory features and you may not be able to access certain features on future titles.

AVI

Glenzo

I think the gereral view is that following software updates the player improved in terms of Blu-ray PQ performance. In addition at £999 is was way over priced for its specification i.e. limited HD audio support, not great at 1080p, no 1080p/24, slow loading (over 2 mins) with BD-J titles etc

Have you thought about a PS3 or looked at the new Samsung models that start from just over £300 (BD-P1400). There's even a new Samsung dual HD DVD/Blu-ray player at just over £500. Just be aware that most current players will not support soon to be mandatory features and you may not be able to access certain features on future titles.

AVI
I have highlighted a part of your answer that is wordd slightly wrong there mate...the features are not mandatory - ie, every disc released from October 31st has to have BD-J features on it. However, from that date, all players released must be able to support BD-J. most current players will still be able to play discs released after that date...

Nic Rhodes

Distinguished Member

Comments appreciated.

The early review are correct it WAS a complete disaster when launched, compounded by the fact of poor quality Blu ray discs. HOWEVER the players performance has been transformed with firmware upgrades, and so have the info released on the discs. The player nowdays with the lastest firmware is a match for anything on the market, and cuts quite a bargain now. The difference between this and the other players on the market is 'minimal' though it is very lacking in features, BUT ALL the standalones are like that as well, just some of them have more the Samsung! Re what it does it has gone from an ugly duckling into a swan, just don't expect all the bells and whistles.

I find it a little slow...but I'm comparing to the PS3. For example, the top menu's on the Pirates Of The carribean discs take an age to open on the Sammy whilst they are lightning quick on the PS3.
Problem is, my AV processor doesn't have HDMI inputs so I can't utilise the lossless sound formats (PCM & DD TrueHD) from the PS3 while I can listen to the PCM tracks via the Sammy and it's 5.1 outputs...

Nic - can you confirm that other standalone players are as slow as the sammy when it comes to the top menu's or is it particularly slow...?

Avi

Distinguished Member
I have highlighted a part of your answer that is wordd slightly wrong there mate...the features are not mandatory - ie, every disc released from October 31st has to have BD-J features on it. However, from that date, all players released must be able to support BD-J. most current players will still be able to play discs released after that date...

AT

All players support BD-J it was mandatory from the very first player. :)

Final Standard Profile (AKA profile1.1) becomes mandatory for all players released from Nov 07 and will support additional "interactive" title features. These are the features plugged by the BD studios at the recent IFA BD press session. Hence -

"Just be aware that most current players will not support soon to be mandatory features and you may not be able to access certain features on future titles."

Any player that cannot be upgraded to this profile i.e. most (all?) current standalones will not be able to support the new mandatory features that will be standard on all Blu-ray players released after Nov 07. The other concern is the performance of current standalones with titles that use standard BD-J more creatively. Even to just watch the movie these discs can take 2-3 minutes to load on some players and that's without any of the additional 1.1 features on the disc. What happens when these type of BD-J discs become the norm ? :(

AVI

Nic Rhodes

Distinguished Member
AT

All the players I have seen are in the same bracket as the Samsung re slowness, some are worse, none are an order of magnitude different. The PS3 is MUCH faster than all the standalones but still takes something like 45 secs for some of these BD J discs. Re these standalones and speed and BD J discs, all are slower than the HD DVDs, which are also slow. Re HD disc, think slooow what ever format atm :).

Thanks for that guys...I understand the loading time problems...I am format neutral and own a Toshiba HD D1 as well. BD disc owners can count themselves lucky sometimes...however, the problem I had was when I pressed the "top menu" button on POTC:COTBP. The menu took about a minute to appear, and then selecting the audio menu in the sub menu's took about the same time...all this to get the LPCM track up. It's quite hard to explain how thwy appeared though...the menu's appeared as soon as I hit the button, but then took an age to travel up the screen and reveal it fully - like they were traveling in super slow motion...is this the norm?
I must say though, that in terms of picture quality, Blu-ray is at last catching up with HD DVD. Deja-Vu is a stunning disc...

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom