1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't make up my mind anymore on 36"

Discussion in 'TVs' started by dreamc, Jun 11, 2004.

1. dreamc

dreamc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm new to the forum and have been reading some posts and have managed to find a lot of usefull information.

I'm currently looking into getting a 36" CRT....first i was planning on buying the Sony 36HQ100, but this had problems with the 100Hz Advanced mode (although fixed by being able to select the old 100Hz mode), which i would be able to live with until i saw the problem with delay on the sound and picture when watching via a surround set. Have not been able to see any solutions to it so i won't be getting that.

Then i started looking for another one and was looking at the Panasonic TX36PD30 which was looking good (EISA award and all), until i saw the experiences with the TV on here....still think DVD looks amazing on this set (just went to see), but in another store they had some normal tv on and that looked really blocky...so having my doubts about this one now.....

What 36" do you recommend and why.....or do have most 36" CRT's have problems?

2. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    In a word: "Yes".

Trying to process a picture, which originates at 625 lines/25 frames, to display on a 36" tube inevitably creates side effects.

Whether these side effects are important to you, only you can decide.

By all means read the various reviews and forum postings, but the final arbiter must be your own eyes.

Good luck in your search, but don't expect perfection!

3. dreamc

dreamc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Are there any solutions for the delay problem between sound an image on the sony available?

4. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    How much are you prepared to spend, as you could get a 42in Plasma with a better picture perhaps, or a RPTV?

5. dreamc

dreamc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well, about 2500 euros. I'm not yet statisfied with Plasma as i don't think the price outweigh the problems (possibility of burn-in, fading of colors over time)...so that has kept me from getting a plasma ( i did see one in this pricerange at mycom)

Rear projection is just not my thing....first of all the viewing angle, secondly you can't put them on top of furniture....probably just a bit too big....

6. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    You can with the Sony 42SX300.

7. Anastie

Anastie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    You may want to check out an earlier thread "I love my PD30" I posted. Many people agree once tweaked they are fantastic :)

8. paul710

paul710
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to say I agree with Anastie - if you take the time and effort to fine tune this TV by going into the service menu (dead easy) it produces brilliant pictures. :)