• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

cant make my mind up!

The Spaniard

Was always a sky subscriber from the start until very recently when I switched to freeview - thought Sky was becoming way too expensive.

I now want HD though and am debating whether to go back to Sky or go with Freesat. Am very tempted by the Sky HD offer at present although I want ITV HD as well as channel 4 hD.

Which is likely to happen first:

ITV HD to Sky?

C4 HD to Freesat?

Not really bothered about sports HD (dont watch it) and watch all my films on blu ray.

Thanks for any advice!

jaydee999

Was always a sky subscriber from the start until very recently when I switched to freeview - thought Sky was becoming way too expensive.

I now want HD though and am debating whether to go back to Sky or go with Freesat. Am very tempted by the Sky HD offer at present although I want ITV HD as well as channel 4 hD.

ITV HD to Sky?

C4 HD to Freesat?

Not really bothered about sports HD (dont watch it) and watch all my films on blu ray.

Thanks for any advice!

This site claims December

HDTV UK With High Definition TV Channels From BBC ITV Channel 4 | Digital Television UK

If you have the right type of HD box that can also take a Sky viewing card, I believe you could also get it now as long as you purchase the card (£20 from Sky)

There's next to bugger all on ITV HD anyway, so I wouldn't take too much notice of that.

What date is that article? Last year sometime I presume...

On Sky you would get other stuff like National Geographic etc, but obviously your back to paying Sky. We don't any more - I get BBC HD on my HTPC now (along with Luxe and ITV) but for stuff I can't see via Sky I can obtain HD files via other means that are still excellent quality...

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
This site claims December

HDTV UK With High Definition TV Channels From BBC ITV Channel 4 | Digital Television UK

If you have the right type of HD box that can also take a Sky viewing card, I believe you could also get it now as long as you purchase the card (£20 from Sky)

That site states
Channel 4 HD is firstly set to make it’s move via the 4-On-Demand feature of Virgin Media and is also due to become available on Sky and Freesat in December this year, showing the main channel 4 programmes in simulcast.

What a load of rubbish channel 4 HD launched on Sky last December - so absolutely no credibility to it appearing on freesat this December

Starburst

Distinguished Member

ITV HD to Sky?

C4 HD to Freesat?

Thanks for any advice!

To be honest the arrival of either ITV or CH4 on the other platform is secondary, pricing especially if you are not interested in the main premium HD channels is probably more of an issue given the limited native HD content especially if you don't like broadcast sports or movies.

SKY+HD for £75 and free install (new users) plus 12 months at a minimum of £27 a month.
Freesat HD DVR, not yet on the market price unconfirmed (under £300 plus an install charge if required) so less then the price of SKY+HD and sub for one year. Single tuner Freesat HD box under £150 (install extra if required) but really this day and age why go with anything other than a DVR when faced with adverts and OFCOM allowing more to be broadcast.

The Spaniard

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice/info!

Working on the assumption that both ITVHD and CH4HD are going to be available on both freesat and Sky within 12 months, if I went with Sky at £400 (12 x 27 + 75 for install) and then cancelled, is this as good as paying £400+ for the Humax PVR plus installation.

Regarding future functionality after I stop paying Sky is the Sky HD box as good an option as the humax?

dwhite

Distinguished Member
Once you stop paying sky, you will lose the recording functionality and access to any recordings on your box of channels which you subscribed to.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom