• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Can't log on AVF on PC - but can on phone.

mikes48

Distinguished Member
Having a bad day - as thread title. On mobile now, fine, but a bit cramped. Normally only use the site on PC.
First page opens up OK, click on Log in or Sign up, and just get a little character constantly rotating above "up".
Have managed to log on earlier today by going to the last post on any random thread where the "cannot reply unless you log on or register" message appears and I've been able to log on that way, but now the screen just goes faint and I can't get any further.
Any suggestions please?

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Having a bad day - as thread title. On mobile now, fine, but a bit cramped. Normally only use the site on PC.
First page opens up OK, click on Log in or Sign up, and just get a little character constantly rotating above "up".
Have managed to log on earlier today by going to the last post on any random thread where the "cannot reply unless you log on or register" message appears and I've been able to log on that way, but now the screen just goes faint and I can't get any further.
Any suggestions please?

Maybe worth posting here: https://www.avforums.com/forums/feedback-support.52/

misterS3

Established Member
Have you got any adblocking software on your PC browser?

I have ghostery and have to disable it to get login page.

mikes48

Distinguished Member
On my mobile, yes, but I've only ever used the site on my PC before - right up to today. Browsed the URL you quoted, and I'll try IE, see if that helps. Btw, I use Adblocker but AVF is white - listed

mikes48

Distinguished Member
Phew! Here I am, logged in OK on IExplorer. How bizarre. Haven't used IE for years, maybe I'll have to give it another go!

IronGiant

May be worth clearing your cookies on the other browser and trying again ?

Switch625

Prominent Member
Same issue here when using Firefox which is my default browser. Not installed any new add-ons, plugins are up to date, no ad blocking etc. Have cleared cookies/cache.

Have installed Chrome for now to be able to post on AVF. Quite strange.

IronGiant

Has anyone reported it in the Feedback forum yet?

mikes48

Distinguished Member
Well I can log on OK with IE or Edge, but Firefox still a non-runner, even after clearing cookies.

Not really a hardship, but I'll have a look at the Feedback forum. Thanks IG.

mikes48

Distinguished Member
Has anyone reported it in the Feedback forum yet?

Someone asked the same question in the Feedback forum in February 2015 but there was no response, so I've just posted there for any update there may be.

I did install Ad-Blocker a few weeks ago but I quickly excluded AVF in response to the auto-detect message that appeared. So today I've first disabled Ad-Blocker, then removed it completely, neither step making any difference, so Ad-Blocker may be a red herring.

Then I unticked the Firefox option to disallow tracking cookies (or something very similar) and now everything does work as it should - I can log in to AVF just as I have done for the last 8 years or so.

Not really happy though, because to use the site on my preferred browser means opening all my browsing to the world, which isn't what I'd choose to do.

So IE it is, for the time being at least :thumbsdow

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom