Can't log in! Tiscali and DNS Servers! Grrr!

YFU

Standard Member
I was wondering if anyone could help me. I can't seem to log into Xbox live at all. I have been playing on live fine for the last 2 months but now suddenly I just cannot get on live no matter what over the last few days.

I'm on Tiscali 1mb Unlimited and I'm using ICS for my 360, when I try an log in it won't let me so i test my connection and it says I'm failing on DNS servers. I've got this setup for automatic and it's exactly the same as it always has been when I've been playing on live.

I'm doing everything exactly the same, is this a problem with my xbox live account or with Tiscali? o be honest I'm somewhat of a technophobe and I'm looking for some guidance please guys. I just don't understand why it's suddenly stopped working. I have a 12 month subscription which started a few weeks ago so i know it isn't that.

Any help would be great, thanks in advance,

Dale :thumbsup:

ShadowmanUK

Novice Member
Good old ICS... :thumbsup:

Have a look on my site about DNS issues. If that does not sort out your problem.

Take ICS off.. (i.e. unshare your connection) reboot your PC and then follow the ICS instructions on my site by the letter. They work and hundreds of people have got on live them.

YFU

Standard Member
Thanks....I'll give that a go. I did however just have a quick read through and I noticed what you said about Zone Alarms and guess what? I've got zone alarms (free version). DO you think this may be the problem and what should I do? I had noticed in the past that if I toggled with Zone Alarms a bit in the past then I could access Xbox live but I've tried that this time and still no luck. Is Zone alarms bad for xbox live gaming?

Thanks again!

ShadowmanUK

Novice Member
The free version of ZA is a big no no for ICS. It just doesnt support it. Turn it off while playing (and let all the monkee's attack your PC :nono: ) or buy the full version, or get a different firewall. I'll be honest I dont know which free software firewalls support ICS.. have a look for Kerio and others, they might. I have a router firewall so I've not used a software one for a while.

Grim Reaper

Novice Member
ShadowmanUK said:
I have a router firewall so I've not used a software one for a while.

The router firewall typically won't prevent dubious outgoing traffic though, so I'd still argue it's worth running a software one as well to protect against trojans.

I run the free Sygate Personal Firewall which I preferred to Zone Alarm. Sygate have been acquired by the octopus that is Symantec, so it's no longer supported, but you can still download it here:

http://www.tucows.com/preview/213160

I'm not sure if that's the latest version because I'm not on my home PC at the moment, but it's probably good enough for most purposes, particularly if you're running a router firewall.

That page suggests that it works with ICS. I haven't tried ICS with it myself, but I'm generally happy with its software firewall functions. It's a pity that Symantec have assimilated it into their personal firewall range because I probably would have paid for an upgrade otherwise.

Jim

And a Hardware firewall won't help with tunnelled traffic either :lesson:

ShadowmanUK said:
The free version of ZA is a big no no for ICS. It just doesnt support it. Turn it off while playing (and let all the monkee's attack your PC :nono: ) or buy the full version, or get a different firewall. I'll be honest I dont know which free software firewalls support ICS.. have a look for Kerio and others, they might. I have a router firewall so I've not used a software one for a while.

ShadowmanUK

Novice Member
Jordans Norks said:
And a Hardware firewall won't help with tunnelled traffic either :lesson:

I'm not tunnelling.

The SPI Firewall on the Netgear DG834G is fine for me. I run anti trojan and spyware software regulrarly so.. I'm happy with the protection.

I wasn't thinking about you Shadow :) - I was worried about corporate monkies like myself who have to dialin to work every so often :smashin:

mark.carline

Novice Member
YFU said:
I'm on Tiscali 1mb Unlimited

AAAAAAHHHHHHGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!! - FOUND YOUR PROBLEM !!

I was with tiscali for 2 weeks and the service was terrible - At one point I ended up setting up a modem and dialing up the internet as it was soooooooooooooooo slow. Web pages would time out / DNS queries where failing etc. I spend hours on the phone to their india call centre with no luck and then after not being able to sort out my problem (convenently 10 days after my grade period) they said sorry we cant sort your problem out and if you want to cancel and move to somebody else then I'll need to pay the remaining 12 month fees.

In the end I had to deal directly with the CEOs office and I ended up saying that if they dont give me a MAC code I would take them to court and I would publisise my problems with Tiscali on BBC Watchdog and Which magazine - Its all sorted out now and moved to Pipex :clap: :clap: :clap:

Check out what some people are saying about Tiscali here....

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=tiscali

You have been warned !!

bouncer

Im using tiscali and mines owrks fines :) Infact mines is set up to play both my xbox360's at once :D

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom