Can't load web pages on laptop but can on iPad

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by Kteirvine, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Kteirvine

Kteirvine
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Since yesterday I have been unable to get web pages to load. Virgin Media is set as my home page and when I click on IE9 the tab for this just shows it is loading but never does. If I then try to open say Facebook the page for this loads but freezes. I have to use Task Manager to shut everything down. I have tried to open the web dozens of times since last night with the same result. I am able to send and receive emails without any issue. I am typing this on my iPad so have no problem connecting on another device, therefore the problem is not my wireless router.

I have an HP Pavilion laptop which has its own software to run for a tune up and maintenance. I have run this but it hasn't made any difference. I had a problem with Flash Player on Sunday not updating properly and had to do a clean install of that, which appeared to be successful. Could it be the culprit? Should I do a system restore back to Friday or Saturday?

I have Windows 7, IE9, wifi access through Virgin Media

2. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +763
    Have you tried using a wired ethernet connection to the router ?
    (That would completely eliminate wireless issues.)
    In IE check for the various helper apps etc. that are enabled and remove any whose names you don't recognise.
    It's also worth doing a complete virus/malware scan of your PC.

3. Kteirvine

Kteirvine
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Chris, it is not a wireless issue. After I posted my problem I opened IE (no add ons) and it worked no problem. I then went into Manage Add-Ons and disabled Flash Object and my normal IE (with add ons) worked no problem. As soon as I re-enabled Flash Object the problem re-occured. If you are able to offer any other suggestions I would be very grateful.

4. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +763
    Well there are versions of Flash Player about for the Android OS that contain malware; I wonder if bad Windoze version also exist ?
    (So again might be worth a virus and malware check on your PC, using up to date defintions).

5. Kteirvine

Kteirvine
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My definitions and malware checks are up to date.

I couldn't find reference to the uninstaller previously on the Adobe site. Instead I found long winded instructions from them, which is what I followed yesterday. These also told me to untick the Active X Filtering, which I have now turned back on.

I have just run the official uninstaller, which was provided on another site -
    Uninstall Flash Player | Windows

I then reinstalled the latest Adobe Flash Player and my problem is solved.

Thanks very much for your help.

6. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +763
    Glad you solved it; my next suggestion would have been to run CCleaner or similar to try to uninstall properly.
    Your persistance has paid off.

7. Kteirvine

Kteirvine
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to add that I had to re-enable Flash in Manage Add-ons and then turn ActiveX filtering back off to get everything to work.