Can't load web pages on laptop but can on iPad

Kteirvine

Member
Since yesterday I have been unable to get web pages to load. Virgin Media is set as my home page and when I click on IE9 the tab for this just shows it is loading but never does. If I then try to open say Facebook the page for this loads but freezes. I have to use Task Manager to shut everything down. I have tried to open the web dozens of times since last night with the same result. I am able to send and receive emails without any issue. I am typing this on my iPad so have no problem connecting on another device, therefore the problem is not my wireless router.

I have an HP Pavilion laptop which has its own software to run for a tune up and maintenance. I have run this but it hasn't made any difference. I had a problem with Flash Player on Sunday not updating properly and had to do a clean install of that, which appeared to be successful. Could it be the culprit? Should I do a system restore back to Friday or Saturday?

I have Windows 7, IE9, wifi access through Virgin Media
 

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
Have you tried using a wired ethernet connection to the router ?
(That would completely eliminate wireless issues.)
In IE check for the various helper apps etc. that are enabled and remove any whose names you don't recognise.
It's also worth doing a complete virus/malware scan of your PC.
 

Kteirvine

Member
Thanks Chris, it is not a wireless issue. After I posted my problem I opened IE (no add ons) and it worked no problem. I then went into Manage Add-Ons and disabled Flash Object and my normal IE (with add ons) worked no problem. As soon as I re-enabled Flash Object the problem re-occured. If you are able to offer any other suggestions I would be very grateful.
 

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
Well there are versions of Flash Player about for the Android OS that contain malware; I wonder if bad Windoze version also exist ?
(So again might be worth a virus and malware check on your PC, using up to date defintions).
 

Kteirvine

Member
My definitions and malware checks are up to date.

I couldn't find reference to the uninstaller previously on the Adobe site. Instead I found long winded instructions from them, which is what I followed yesterday. These also told me to untick the Active X Filtering, which I have now turned back on.

I have just run the official uninstaller, which was provided on another site -
Uninstall Flash Player | Windows

I then reinstalled the latest Adobe Flash Player and my problem is solved.

Thanks very much for your help.
 

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
Glad you solved it; my next suggestion would have been to run CCleaner or similar to try to uninstall properly.
Your persistance has paid off.
 

Kteirvine

Member
Just to add that I had to re-enable Flash in Manage Add-ons and then turn ActiveX filtering back off to get everything to work.
 

Similar threads

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q950T Soundbar Review, Filmmaker Mode, Disney+ $30 for Mulan, AV news and more
Top Bottom