1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can't install SP1 or SP2

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by andrewq, Apr 24, 2005.

1. andrewq

andrewq
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have tried installing SP1 and SP2, comes back with "cannot install due to version of windows installed". Version is XP pro 2002. Any ideas please

2. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,962
    You can go straight to SP2 as that includes SP1 - do you get the error when trying to install SP2 ? Have you been doing the automatic updates of XP as I'm amazed you've gone this long with it forcing you to have at least SP1 on !

3. kolabere

kolabere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I previously suggested slipstreaming your installation CD. You should try it :cool: .

This will then give you a clean XP-SP2 install. If you are extremely ambitious you can add all the current hotfixes to the installation CD for the cleanest setup.

4. andrewq

andrewq
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it's a new computer(old install disc), and i did install all the updates before trying to download SP2. it fell at the last hurdle "verifying" no problems along the way.

5. andrewq

andrewq
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    kolabere, yes i remember you recommending this but does this mean a total reinstall of windows. i've spent some time installing software and yes i should have sorted this first, wonderful thing 20/20 hindsight. i'm nervous of doing any complicted with Pc's as it seems to end in tears that's why i went for the easy option.
    thanks for the advice

6. kolabere

kolabere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    If you have a system running xp-SP1 and it wont allow you to install SP2 then I would suspect that an installation file is currupted.

Do you have error messages about missing files?

Can you install hotfixes, at windows update site?

If the answers are:
    (1) Yes, then you will need a clean install of Windows.

(1) No, see 2.

(2) No, then you will need a clean install of Windows.

(2) Yes, be patient and update ALL hotfixes. Your install wil be pretty dirty but it should be 'secure' and stable.

Irrespective of the above it might just as well be a good time to think about reinstalling windows anyway (A cleaner PC is a healthier PC - more secure, more effiecient). If you are not confident about slipstreaming SP2 then do a manual install of Xp and have the SP2 disk ready to update immediately afterwards.

This is a very straightforward process and depending on the applications you have can be done in a matter of hours.

It goes without saying that you backup your data and settings on a daily basis ;) so nothing will be lost.