Cant hear TV through the Home Cinema system

Chris B

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, as a newbie I'd appreciate some help. I have bought an ONKYO LSv 501 home cinema system and it is comnnected to a Logik LCW32HD1 tv.

DVDs and CDs work great and the sound is awesome, but i cant get the tv sound to go through the home cinema speakers. I know the sound will not be as good as dvd but has to be better than the normal tv

I have a HDMI and Optical lead connecting between TV and DVD player and i think i have followed everything in the manuals and amended settings etc but all to no avail. I have taken the optical lead out and put it back so i am 100% sure its connected properly.

I am one step away from throwing the lot out of the window !!!

Please help..

Thanks
Chris

Do you connect TV sound output (digital or analogue) to your receiver?

I have the optical cable going from the Digital out on TV to optical audio in on dvd player.

Chris

I think your TV might not be sending audio in digital, you may need to set it up on TV system menu. please refer to the TV manual.

Thanks, I have read the tv manual from cover to cover and it shows no settings or screens to change but there is a definate instruction how to connect the tv to other devices via the optical cable. ie plug in the cable !

Chris

How do you feed the TV freeview build in or analogue tuner?

I think we must identify the problem.. if the problem is with the av system or TV.

If you can try another optical source to av system and it work... now we know its the TV...

The freeview is built into the TV, the only other tv i have doesnt have the optical connector so i guess that wont help.

Chris

Then it would be really hard to pin point where the problem is....

I still believe that the problem is with the TV .... the optical source may need to enable or standard tv signal can not be digitally decoded.

If you could let me know the link to the manufacture manual of the TV, i might be able to suggest something further...

Meanwhile... please analogue connection... sound signal is in stereo.

...another thing.. i assume you make sure your av system has been set to receive optical connection... may have to choose between coax or optical.. for some av system.

Thanks I really appreciate your help.

I cant find anything on the net for manuals etc, I have tried the normal search engine route, I'm not sure if LOGIK is a brand name for Curry's as even the manual doesnt have a web address.

I did change the settings on the DVD to OPT, Caox and ANA, tried all permutations on Video 1 and Video 2 /DOCK.

Am now off for a well deserved beer or two !!!

Chris

3rd time lucky........

http://www.mastercare.co.uk/Uploads/{216e67ce-ea66-41aa-912a-61ff42df0d80}/LOGIK_LCXW32_37HD1.pdf

just have a quick read ...

you need to use Coax (75 ohm) digital cable sending digital audio from TV (freeview mode) to your av system.

You can not use optical output from your TV freeview signal.. the output is for HDMI.

just have a quick read ...

you need to use Coax (75 ohm) digital cable sending digital audio from TV (freeview mode) to your av system.

You can not use optical output from your TV freeview signal.. the output is for HDMI.

Looking at the manual, I don't think thats right conman. Bizarrely the way I'm reading it is that there is two aerial inputs, one for digital and one for analogue. The digital one has an output which you then loop to via a coax cable to the analogue input! I have no idea why they do this, when all other tv's take the one input and just internally deal with the digital and analogue signal.

You are right that the optical out only appears to apply to whatever is connected to the HDMI input.

I'm afraid I can't see any other audio outputs. The op may be able to get sound out of the scart socket using a lead like this.

Yes, I'd say dwhite has it right, the coax is just for the aerial not for digital sound.

A SCART adapter is a good way to get 2 channel sound out or possibly the headphone socket on the side.

Guys, you are all stars !

Amazingly amongst my pile of cables etc i had a scart lead like that and hey presto it works !

Conman, Mark Taylor and DWhite i thank you all.

Cheers
Chris

I spoke too soon....

my scart connector has 2 x audio jack plugs and they fit ok and the other is an aerial type so it doesnt fit.

however while the sound comes through the home cinema speakers, the lip synch is about 1 second out and i tried playing with the settings to no avail,

also the sound from the channel that is on when turning the machine on stays regardless of what tv station is on. Last night we had the joy of watching x factor with the sound from BBC's Merlin !

All works fine on normal tv, not on freeview.

Any ideas guys ? This is turning into a project !

Cheers

Sounds like it only outputs the sound via scart of analogue broadcasts and not the internal freeview tuner.

Don't worry about the third output from scart not fitting in the amp, that will be for video and you only need the audio.

Have you got any recording devices connected? Have you ever recorded freeview broadcasts? If you can do that, then all we need to do is figure out how the audio got to the recorder.

Try the other scart socket. If that doesn't work, try marks suggestion of using the headphone socket on the side.

The more I look into this TV, the more I suspect it was originally a analogue only tuner TV, and they've just bunged a freeview tuner in with no consideration for proper intergration. From the manual it looks looks like the setup for the analogue and digital side of things are from two totally different OSD's.

Last edited:
I was away for couple days... sorry for giving the wrong advice.. i was abit too hasty...

So did you get this sorted?

Hi

Still playing around.

Changing the scart socket didnt work. Need to look into using the headphone socket, but dont have a lead that has headphone to audio input.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom