1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't Hear DD 5.1 on Some DVD Audios Since Adding New Player

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by Kevo, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Posted this recently on the 'DVD Players' forum but with no luck.....

I've recently added a Pioneer 575 DVD Player to my system and connected it to my Song DBR930 amp via optical and 6 channel analog (phonos) for the first time.

Ive also got a Panasonic DMR100 DVD recorder connected via optical only.

I've only got 5 x DVDAs so far but three of them will NOT play on the E100 in standard 5.1, only 2 ch PCM.
    The other two, which coincidentally are both Queen, will play fine in standard 5.1. They are both 96/24 if this has anything to do with it.

I understand that on the Pioneer that the optical will be disabled (as 6 channel analog is connected) when playing DVDAs, but it also seems to be disabling it on the Panasonic, but not on all discs

Any ideas?

2. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Does the Panasonic have DVD-A audio capability or just standard DVD audio?

3. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    The Panasonic has DVDA capability, although 2 channel only.

4. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    :confused:

All DVD-A capable players have 5.1 capability.

I think you're getting confused between conventional DVD audio which all DVD players have, and DVD-A audio which only DVD-A capable players possess.

Hard to say without seeing the discs but I'd hazard a guess that the reason you get 5.1 on some but not on others when you play them throught the Panasonic, is that some have both DVD-A 5.1 and conventional DVD audio in 5.1. The others may only have 5.1 in DVD-A only in which case if your Panny is not DVD-A capable (and I suspect it isn't) you will not hear 5.1 audio.

As I say without knowing the spec of the discs concerned, it's a guess, but quite likely.

5. manny

manny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    there are some dvd recorders that can play dvd-a in stereo only, basically the ability was part of the decoder chip so they've enabled it but haven't gone to the extra expense of adding a 6 channel output board. the reason you're getting the stereo output but no dolby 5.1 is that the player is seeing the disc in dvd-audio mode, so it doesn't see the dolby content. there should be an option in a setup menu to switch between dvd-audio mode and dvd-video mode. then the player will be able to play the dolby 5.1 but will no longer see the high resolution stereo track.

6. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Not so. Many of the Panasonic DVD Recorders output the full DVDA Advanced Resolution 2.0 channel only and not 5.1 (mine included).
    This is usually mentioned in the 'Bad Points' in many reviews.

Anyway I've just this minute sorted it.

It's because it has DVDA capabilities that there is a setting in the options, 'DVD Video Mode'. This allows video content to be played from DVD Audio disks (according to the manual). Never really quite understood this until now.
    What it really means is that when set to ON it allows the 'DVD-V' content to be played, i.e. the standard 5.1 soundtracks.
    When set to OFF it allows for the Advanced Resolution track (stereo only) to be played.
    Although I thought I had set it to ON, i've just read that it reverts back to OFF when you eject a disk or turn off.
    I think they assume that you want to default to the Advanved Res mode, although this is only overriden when you set it to ON

The spec of the disks in question fit the above perfectly....

The two Queen DVDAs that would play in standard 5.1 had NO 2 channel adv res tracks recorded, only 5.1 adv res (which the Pan E100 doesn't play) so it reverted to DVDV mode.

The other disks that would NOT play in standard 5.1 (e.g. REM Automatic for The People) DID have a Adv Res 2.0 channel track recorded so the player detected this and defaulted to this mode (DVDA mode). Aalthough I can change it to DVDV mode by changing the option mentioned above.

Hope that makes sense!

I've had the Pan E100 over a year and you learn something new all the time!
    I used to play all my DVDAs on my old Pioneer DVD717 so never had any of these quirks as it was DVDV only. It's only since I got my new Pioneer 575 that i've tried out DVDAs on the Pan E100 and discovered this 'oddity', which makes sense now.

Cheers

7. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Manny, spot on.

Our posts crossed!

Thanks.

8. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    So what you're saying is this Panny is not flagged as DVD-A capable yet has a quirk that allows 2 channel hi-res replay?

9. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Yes, it's not 'Full 6 channel DVDA Comaptible', only '2 channel DVDA (advanced Res)' via the optical cable. The option to toggle between the two is to prevent any ambiguity ( I assume).

10. stulou

stulou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi,

I'm new to the forum, and don't want to tread on any toes but it strikes me that if you have a Pioneer 575 connected to your amp via 6 channel output, you'll get the full 5.1 benefit of both SACD & DVD-Audio from this.

11. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Thanks but I already knew that.

12. sam100

sam100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm having a similar problem.

I have a Pioneer DV939A which I recently purchased second hand. I thought I'd try the dvd audio side so I purchased (Foo Fighters one by one) with a 5.1 soundtrack. The player tells me that their are 5.1 channels and a dvd-a light comes on but the sound through my amp (Yamaha AX1) is only in pro- logic and not Dolby Digital.

There are some video's on the disc that play in DD fine.

BTW, I have the amp connected through a coaxial lead and I thought I might have read that I need different connectors.

Also been through the settings but nothing seems to alter the sound. :(

Thanks, Neil

13. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,941
    If you read the manual, you'd realise that you need to use 6 phono leads to get DVD-A 5.1 from the player.

14. sam100

sam100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sadly my DVD player came without a manual. But thanks for the advise.

Neil

15. chachi

chachi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if one wants 5.1 HiRes DVD-Audio then one hooks up 6 RCAs (AFAIK this applies to all but two or three DVD-A players on the market which utilise a bespoke linkage and only works when connected to the same-brand's processor)

Also thought that the Pioneer 575 does not support the ".1" on DVD-A (or at least the ones I've played with never have outputted a sub channel for DVD-A) ?

16. FeisalK

FeisalK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
  17. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Mine plays the '.1' OK, athough I have to trurn the vol up a bit more on te sub to hear it, but it's defo there.

18. chachi

chachi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm ... the new NIN DVD-A yields zero sub output on my mates 575 whereas my Onkyo shifts the hairs on your legs if too near :confused:

19. The_kUrGaN

The_kUrGaN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    re the Pioneer 575. It has very low bass output on DVD-A, hence I have to turn up the sub to max. It's a common complaint of the 575 when playing DVD-A.

With regard's to 'The Foo's' DVD-A, I have the same disc. Mine plays through 6 phono leads from DVD player to amp. My amp is then set to "6 ch" in order to putput the audio.

I only bought a budget set of leads from Curry's for approx £15 as I only have three DVD-A's and just wanted to try it out. I may pay more when I get round to upgrading my kit.

20. sam100

sam100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks everyone for your help. More leads to buy :eek:

Can anyone recommend a supplier with at least a 3 meter length, lead that is.