Can't get Wipeout HD into 3D mode

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by PoisonJam, Dec 28, 2011.

1. PoisonJam

PoisonJam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    Just bought my first pair of 3D glasses today and a new 3D BR player and 3D works fine on that.

I read Wipeout HD is in 3D and the PS3 detects my screen is 3D in resolution settings (set to automatic) but I can't see any options in the game to enable 3D in Wipeout. I also can't see a way to force Wipeout to update to the latest version or what version it is but it is connected to the internet.The console itself is up-to-date.

What am I missing?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  2. PoisonJam

PoisonJam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    This is driving me nuts.

I've been into the game settings, PS3 display settings, restarted the PS3 and TV, swapped HDMI ports but it still doesn't offer me the choice to play in 3D.

3. Fmrl

Fmrl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +408
    I'm not sure if this will help (I don't have a 3D TV) but have you tried deleting the Wipeout game data file? Go to the Game Data Utility menu in the XMB and remove the update. The next time you try to run Wipeout it should insist that you download and install the update again.

EDIT: Also, I'm guessing you've already done this...

http://www.best3d.tv/3d-option-not-available-in-gran-turismo-5/

4. PoisonJam

PoisonJam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    Thanks for your reply. I started a thread up on AVS as I didn't get any reply here initially and got a response from a member with the exact same TV model as me who gets Wipeout working fine in 3D.

I did try wiping the game data file... but after a bit of digging around it turns out that only games bought via PSN were updated to the 2.2 patch that added 3D. If you bought the retail disc version, as I did, for some reason you don't get the 2.2 update!

I sent an email to Sony saying that I wasted a lot of time trying to get this to work and that I don't expect to have to buy the game again to get it in 3D.

5. Fmrl

Fmrl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +408
    Ouch, I didn't realise that, sorry - it's especially annoying seeing as the disc and download versions are supposed to be the same game and Sony made a big song and dance about the free 3D update a while back.

6. PoisonJam

PoisonJam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    Indeed - I can't see how the patch can't be applied to retail version in the same way, unless the 2.2 patch was actually an entire rework of the game that had to be downloaded. Do you remember it taking particularly long to update?

I went for the retail version so I could sell it on if I wasn't taken by it but decided to keep it. Worst case scenario, if I don't hear back from Sony I'll put it on ebay and re-buy it online :rolleyes:

7. PoisonJam

PoisonJam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    Just discovered that game progress in the retail disc version won't be carried across to the download version as the versions are quite different. <sigh>

8. Fmrl

Fmrl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +408
    Sorry again, I should've mentioned that earlier - I've got the disc-based version of Wipeout+Fury and the PSN version of Wipeout and the game progression is independant ... but the trophies are achievable in either game :confused:

IMO, the disc based version of Wipeout is easier than the downloaded version.

Also, the download version used to have annoying adverts on the loading screens that you couldn't skip - I've not played it in a while so I'm not sure if they're still there.

9. PoisonJam

PoisonJam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    I had the issues with the retail version, too! I think they got rid of it as it a lot of people were complaining (and they were extremely repetitive). On a free game I think it would be a great idea, but not on a game people have paid money for!

10. Fmrl

Fmrl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +408
    I was just messing about with the update files, apparently the disc-based version of Wipeout stopped at 2.10 - deleting this update file only forces it to re-install the same version again. :mad:

I'm guessing with the download version, the update process upgrades the actual game image itself (ie. nothing is stored in the game update utility menu) - mine is version 2.20 already so I think this means it's 3D-capable if I ever upgrade my TV.

I just tried joining an online game - only 9 lobbies available in the whole world :eek:

It's a bit of a shame, I used to really enjoy Wipeout.

11. Foster

Foster
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,571
    I played wipeout a long time ago and there is only that many servers left :eek: