Can't get windows updates

Johnling

Standard Member
Reaction score
I picked up some viruses this week and it to me a while to rid my computer of them, which I believe I have done now using malawarebytes, adaware, spybot, AVG ccleaner and Trojan remover

However I still have one problem

When I try and do windows updates (I am on Windows XP) I get the error message "IE cannot display webpage". I have googled and tried all kinds of things

Check the contents of the HOSTS file on your PC. It's a hidden/system file with no file extension, but you can open it up in Notepad. It's fairly common for malware to place entries in the HOSTS file to make certain sites inaccessible - anti-virus sites, for example (for obvious reasons). As Windows Updates offers the monthly malicious software removal tool, there would be a valid reason for a virus writer to block it, so that's the first place I'd check.

You could also download HijackThis (best run after a reboot of the PC to keep the log as small as possible) and post the log here. All you need to do is run it, perform a scan (which takes seconds) save the log, which will open in Notepad, and then copy and paste the contents of the log into this thread. Amongst other things, that'll show if there's any entries added to the HOSTS file that are causing the problem. It'll also show if there's any left over nasties or remnants from the infections you've removed.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom