Can't get "TV" when DVD recorder on?

gmr

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've asked a smiliar question in another thread but wasn't exactly sure what I was asking so please bear with me! I think I am now:

I have the usual TV-Sky-DVDR (XS32) setup:

Sky (TV) -> DVDR (in)
DVDR (out) -> TV (single scart input)
Aerial -> DVDR (rf in)
DVDR (rf out) -> TV (rf in)

The trouble is when I'm recording from Sky (or just watching through AV2 on the DVDR) I cannot watch terrestrial TV! I switch the TV off AV but I just get a rolling picture. If I disconnect the scart from the back of the TV I get the terrestrial TV - but not a viable option really!

In fact I can only watch terrestrial TV when I switch the XS32 off. So it's the scart output from the DVDR that seems to interfere with the TV.

Is there a way around this? Apart from wanting to be able to watch another channel while recording Sky, my wife likes to use teletext which we can only get directly through the TV.

Many thanks

Gidon

Don't know the solution but I know the cause (which might lend itself to a solution!). It's pin 8 in the scart cable that is the 4:3 / 16:9 switching signal. It is 0V when the external device (DVDR) is not outputting a signal and it then outputs a voltage (two different in fact) to say "hey, there's a signal from this device - switch to show me now". The voltage is different depending on whether it wants the telly to display 4:3 or 16:9. But the bottom line is that the reason your telly is so keen on switching to show the DVDR is because it is seeing ANY voltage on pin 8. If you removed it from the cable/plug then the telly wouldn't know when the DVDR wanted to play but, equally, it wouldn't know whether the DVDR/Sky was asking for 4:3 or 16:9 to be displayed either.

Cliff

Afternoon gmr,

Certainly doesn't sound like a switching problem but I'd go with your original thought of the scart output of the XS32 interfering.
The picture rolling (usually on the diagonal) occurs when your TV detects an RGB signal and blocks out the RF alternatives.
Can only suggest to put your XS32 to composite out, you will then be able to toggle between the AV channel on your TV and the RF signals of terrestrial.
Picture quality will, of course, suffer.
I, therefore, believe the problem lies with the TV.
There is an expensive option but not usually viable.

gmr said:
I've asked a smiliar question in another thread but wasn't exactly sure what I was asking so please bear with me! I think I am now:

I have the usual TV-Sky-DVDR (XS32) setup:

Sky (TV) -> DVDR (in)
DVDR (out) -> TV (single scart input)
Aerial -> DVDR (rf in)
DVDR (rf out) -> TV (rf in)

The trouble is when I'm recording from Sky (or just watching through AV2 on the DVDR) I cannot watch terrestrial TV! I switch the TV off AV but I just get a rolling picture. If I disconnect the scart from the back of the TV I get the terrestrial TV - but not a viable option really!

In fact I can only watch terrestrial TV when I switch the XS32 off. So it's the scart output from the DVDR that seems to interfere with the TV.

Is there a way around this? Apart from wanting to be able to watch another channel while recording Sky, my wife likes to use teletext which we can only get directly through the TV.

Many thanks

Gidon

What Make/Model no of Tv are you using it with?

I have the same problem with an old JVC TV and in my case it is definately due to the RGB output from the DVDR/Sky. If I am watching Sky via the passthrough on my Panny E65 and then press the TV button on the Sky remote, which disables the RGB output, the other channels are viewable.

This obviously wont work if recording from Sky unless you manually select composite output on the DVDR AV1 as suggested above.

Wackojacko32

Thanks Wiggles - that explanation sounds exactly like what's happening - I had tried that - "video" out. It's not ideal but it does work. On my setup the main change is the picture goes a lot darker! The main problem is - you can't change this over when you're recording - which is the only time I really need it! But if I remember before hand that'd be ok.

eddyad - tried that too! Good suggestion and it works ok - apart from having to get up and manually switch (and it degrades the pic ever so slightly). But the main reason I'm trying to get by without for now is my wife thinks it looks ugly - she was happy when I got rid of it after aquiring the XS32! Still good fall back.

Jaycee - Hitachi 2114 21" TV. 6 or 7 years old - will probably wait for it to die before I upgrade it. Or sooner if I keep reading the forums here!

Wackojacko32 - that's risky for me becuase of the way I have things set up - I could end up recording composite from my Sky box which would be a shame.

I think we'll try and live with XS32 output switched to video when we want TV for now. And if we forget when we're recording something already - I'll pull the scart cable out the back of the TV!

Of course still open to any further suggestions.

Thanks again,

Gidon

probably wait for it to die before I upgrade it. Or sooner if I keep reading the forums here!

Know what you mean. I came here looking for advice on a problem with my new TV. Have since bought a DVDR, AV receiver and Sky+ :eek: . I have now returned the TV due to various faults and have gone back to watching on my old set which kinda defeats the object a little.

that's risky for me becuase of the way I have things set up - I could end up recording composite from my Sky box which would be a shame.

TBH this is a risk anyway, if the TV button is knocked/pressed accidentally then you will be recording composite and if the DVDR is on you probably wont know because they usually upconvert the signal to RGB.

Wackojacko32

Edit: of course if the DVDR is set to receive RGB from Sky and you press TV you will end up recording sound and no picture as it doesn't detect composite inputs.

Wackojacko32 said:
TBH this is a risk anyway, if the TV button is knocked/pressed accidentally then you will be recording composite and if the DVDR is on you probably wont know because they usually upconvert the signal to RGB

I've done this - my wife has tried to switch to TV for teletext whilst recording RGB - you get a nice black screen! Not recommended.

Cheers

Gidon

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom