Can't get the remote to change channels

T

Tezdread

well I've tried everything and I still can't get the MCE remote to change channels, I've gone through all the settings multple times, re-learned the remote time and time again but it's just not playing

I see the IR light go on botht the MCE receiver and the digibox but the channel just wont change. Don't know if anyone has any suggestions?

What functionality will I lose if I can't get this to work?

Try running Windows Update - as I recall there waas a recent update for IR remotes.

geroffme said:
Try running Windows Update - as I recall there waas a recent update for IR remotes.

thanks geroffme, I've downloaded the latest updates including the one for the IR but still the same problem...

I'm just tempted to not bother trying and use my normal remote to change channels but if I do this what will I be missing in functionality?

You probably haven't got the IR bug in the correct position. What make of digibox do you have?

Tezdread said:
thanks geroffme, I've downloaded the latest updates including the one for the IR but still the same problem...

I'm just tempted to not bother trying and use my normal remote to change channels but if I do this what will I be missing in functionality?
When you go through the setting up procesdure there is an option to try port 2 so you basically plug the red eye into port to on your IR reciver.
On your skybox it should mark the remote sensor clearly make sure you remove the bit off paper on the back fo the sesor then stick it to that exact position on your skybox.

nigelbb said:
You probably haven't got the IR bug in the correct position. What make of digibox do you have?

It's a Sony VTX-S750U (just a very small IR receiver on the front) I've moved the 'bug' all around, so much so the sticky is not so sticky any more.

evolution400 said:
When you go through the setting up procesdure there is an option to try port 2 so you basically plug the red eye into port to on your IR reciver.
On your skybox it should mark the remote sensor clearly make sure you remove the bit off paper on the back fo the sesor then stick it to that exact position on your skybox.

When you say try port 2 do you mean where it says "Try next IR control cable" because I couldn't see an option to try port 2 specifically.

When I press the buttons (101 or 102 etc) the MCE IR receivers flashes and so does the bug on the front of the digibox so I guess it's aligned?

Yes thats what I mean basically there are 2 holes on the back of the ir reciver so you unplug the cable then plug it into the other one then press try next cable or whatever.

yep it doesn't make any difference
the IR flashes regardless of it being on the digibox receiver or not so there's no way for sure to tell if it's aligned but i've moved it all over it and nothing

Tezdread said:
yep it doesn't make any difference
the IR flashes regardless of it being on the digibox receiver or not so there's no way for sure to tell if it's aligned but i've moved it all over it and nothing
You must have a faulty unit then mate because if you have it all setup and the eye is stuck to the IR point on your digibox then thats all u can do.
Don't you have to eyes with it ? Have youtried the other eye ?

Tezdread

I've got the same issue and just posted before reading your thread.

I'm using a PACE box. This is very annoying so I understand your frustrations.

Whenever I try using the second port my system actually freezes and lets me to naf all. I have to switch the unit to another USB port for it wake up again. This solves absolutley nothing.

Two things you can try and this being the first (something I read on another forum) which may help you but didnt help me was to press '0' and hold before it actually asks you. Basically the screen before, press 'Next' then hold down '0'. (If this doesnt work the first time re-try it with a slight delay from pressing 'Next' and '0')

MCE recognises the key press, then it says to keep pressing then it asks you to release it. Then it flips to the next screen and says its recognised the remote.

I've heard for some this works, for me it didnt :-(

Secondly you could buy a universal remote with Macro funtionality and programme the up button with the MCE up, then the SKY up etc etc etc.

I've tried this but its slow and very hit and miss so very unreliable :-(

Other than that I've been looking at Red-Eye. So if anyone has had similer probs and then tried Red-Eye, I'd be very interested in finding out how it exactly works and if it would help me out?

Thanks

evolution400 said:
You must have a faulty unit then mate because if you have it all setup and the eye is stuck to the IR point on your digibox then thats all u can do.
Don't you have to eyes with it ? Have youtried the other eye ?

Haven't tried the other eye yet, hopefully it's not faulty though and if it is I don't know if I'll be bothered to get a new one...at least for a while. Will give the other eye, bug, infrared transmitter or whatever it's called :rolleyes:

it must be in the :rolleyes: correct position though as I can change the channels using my other remote for the digibox.

----------------------------------------------------------

redgemini said:
Tezdread

I've got the same issue and just posted before reading your thread.

I'm using a PACE box. This is very annoying so I understand your frustrations.

Whenever I try using the second port my system actually freezes and lets me to naf all. I have to switch the unit to another USB port for it wake up again. This solves absolutley nothing.

Two things you can try and this being the first (something I read on another forum) which may help you but didnt help me was to press '0' and hold before it actually asks you. Basically the screen before, press 'Next' then hold down '0'. (If this doesnt work the first time re-try it with a slight delay from pressing 'Next' and '0')

MCE recognises the key press, then it says to keep pressing then it asks you to release it. Then it flips to the next screen and says its recognised the remote.

I've heard for some this works, for me it didnt :-(

Secondly you could buy a universal remote with Macro funtionality and programme the up button with the MCE up, then the SKY up etc etc etc.

I've tried this but its slow and very hit and miss so very unreliable :-(

Other than that I've been looking at Red-Eye. So if anyone has had similer probs and then tried Red-Eye, I'd be very interested in finding out how it exactly works and if it would help me out?

Thanks

very frustrating :suicide:

I'll giver your suggestion a go, with the other bugeye thingy and persevere a while longer. I do have a universal remote (tried setting up this with it and the original sky remote) but like you say it's slow on changing channels so hopefully the other option will work for me.

can someone explain what functionality I will lose if I can't get this sorted?
I'm beginning to think I may never get it sorted and if all it means is that I will have to change channels using a different remote and directly through the digibox instead of via MCE it doesn't seem like a bad option compared to losing more hours trying fruitlesly to get the MCE remote to do the job.

I guess one of the things will be the channel guide?
I can't test any of this at the mo or for a few days but will get back with more info (if there's any progress)

To me the bigest problem would be not having the ability to schedule recordings and let MCE change channels to each one. you cant change the channel with the other remote if your your not in

bengoff said:
To me the bigest problem would be not having the ability to schedule recordings and let MCE change channels to each one. you cant change the channel with the other remote if your your not in

ahhhhh.....didn't know it would change the channel, very clever. I guess that works on multi recordings / channels?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom