• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Can't get surround sound! (Pioneer & Kodi)

Keiron

Prominent Member
I have a Pioneer SCLX83 and Kodi on an NUC.

I will be the first to admit the Pioneer is immensely confusing in terms of surround modes.

However, in the few weeks I've had it, it has always selected the most appropriate surround mode. Now, it doesn't do that - everything is in stereo, unless I select for example Pro Logic manually. I cannot get it to play the "native" soundtrack eg DTS, Dolby Digital.

I haven't, to the best of my knowledge, changed any settings. I have also checked on Kodi, and it is set to 5.0 (the speaker config I have) and HDMI output.

I have also tried all the options on the Pioneer. One would have thought the "Pure direct" would play all channels at least - but no, it's just stereo.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

dante01

Distinguished Member
If the receiver isn't playing multichannel surround sound even if in PURE DIRECT and if you are sure the content being played is actually encoded with discrete multichannel surround format then you are not inputting a format that has more than 2 channels. I'd suspect the source as opposed to the receiver as being the cause, though you should ensure that the receiver's HDMI audio output is set to just the AVR and not AVR + TV? If it were then the source would see your TV and its audio capabilities as being where to look in order to determine what audio formats it can output. All-in-all, the source is only outputting 2 channel stereo to your receiver and the receiver is not downmixing multichannel audio to stereo..

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom