1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't get sound out of amp

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Exige46, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Exige46

Exige46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - very new to all this av and computer stuff, so please excuse my ignorance, particularly if these questions have been answered before because I couldn't understand them!

Anyway - I want to use windows media player (version 9) on a windows xp machine to play music through a marantz SR5400 amp. All I want is stereo, not full 5.1 for DVDs.

My soundcard is the Trust http://www.trust.com/products/product.aspx?artnr=12949 with a digital coaxial output. I am connecting this to the digital input on the amp, but I am getting nothing out through the speakers.

When I look at the Speaker Properties in Mediaplayer, there is a greyed out section where there is a tickbox (that I cannot tick) to play over the S/P-DIFF, and there is a message immediately below that says I need an external decoder compatible with MediaPlayer and Directx9.

This is all a bit baffling to me, and various internet searches are not yielding anything that I can understand.

Any suggestions would be extremely welcome!

Many thanks

2. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    This had me baffled on mine for a while, what i did was went into the volume control actually in XP and there should be an advanced button, if you go into this there should be a section where you can select s/pdif.

If you select this it should then work, i dont use a soundcard but have optical out on my mobo so i am guessing it should still be the same options.

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    What types of music files are you trying to play? If they're .WMAs for example you may well not be able to unless the amp has the necessary decoder.

4. Mikdasa

Mikdasa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The spdif option in WMP is for WMV HD content, not standard ac3/dts/pcm stuff. you need an amp that supports it. I use a Marantz SR7200 and have coax (from onboard ac97 audio) out with ac3/dts passthrough and pcm for when the system is just playing 2 chan stuff, works a treat.

That option is just for WMV-HD

99% sure on this, if anyone knows difrent i would love to know.

check this link:

http://msmvps.com/chrisl/articles/11452.aspx

Q: Are there any Audio/Video Receivers that support decoding WMA Pro?
    A: Yes, currently the Pioneer VSX-59TXi does. This is the only one right now, but look for more to become available

5. Exige46

Exige46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help so far!

The files are mostly mp3s. All I want to do is listen to the music in stereo.

So if using WMP means I am restricted to one (expensive) amp, I guess I need to look at some other options.

Being a pleb at these things, I don't know what coax (from onboard ac97 audio) out with ac3/dts passthrough and pcm for when the system is just playing 2 chan stuff means! Would this be the best way of achieving my mission to send a signal to my amp that it will recognise? I don't want to spend too much money! I guess the software for playing, setting up playlists etc will come with any hardware?

If so, in simple terms, what do I need to buy and where from :)

Many thanks for your help!

Cheers

6. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Lets just get you going. Buy three stereo 3.5mm jack to phono leads. Your sound card has three coloured outputs for analogue. L/R + Rear L/R + Center/sub. Connect these to the decoder input on the amp. That will get you sound to start with, next check that you have the sound configuration in the control panel set to 5.1. Check that the amp has the correct source connected e.g. DVD etc and that the type is digital or analogue. SPDIF can be a pain to get working, but your amp and card are more than enough.

7. Exige46

Exige46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thankyou

I assume by the 3.5mm jack to phono leads, these are a single jack to 2 phono as below. Is there a recommended place to get anything like this, or will maplins etc do?

http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/PH200.html

Any thoughts on where I should connect to on the amp?

http://www.marantz.com/pdfs/e_sr5400.pdf

The section just to the left of the middle by the Marantz badge currently has no inputs, and looks suitable, while the section just below and to the right also looks promising - again any thoughts?

:confused:

Told you I was a beginner!

Cheers

8. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +336
    This sounds really odd to me....
    ....You should be able to connect a cable to spdif out from your soundcard to spdif in to your amp... download and install the latest drivers for your sound card, make sure the soundcard drivers and the sound settings in windows are all set to spdif out to external amp....

Then you can switch your amp into stereo mode to listen to music, and to 5.1 mode to watch movies.

The only thing that might not work is AC3 sound, depending on the codecs you have installed on your pc, if you have problems a free download of ac3 filter should fix it.

9. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Yeah the cables OK. You can get them in Maplins for £1.99 each or COMET etc. Connect to where it says 6.1 in bottom right hand corner rear view..

Even if you get the Digital to work, its good to connect the analogue as you can then install AC3filter (do a search) and use all the channels on any signal. The digital should work, but you will only get two channels unless its a DVD playing with encoder AC3. Which is getting a bit tech, come back to this when you figured it out.

10. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +336
    Just to add some more options in - I have just a digital connection from my soundcard to my Av amp (SPDIF), and I can switch the amp from stereo to surround on all signals. For example, if I am listening to mp3 music I switch the amp to stereo (two front speakers only) and if it is an mp3 encoded film I switch it to surround/pro-logic (5.1 speakers). With the correct codec installed (Nvidia DVD, but there are lots of choices and AC3 filter is good and free) SPDIF passthru will send the signal to the amp and it picks it up as a pure digital AC3 5.1 sound.

So, you should be ok with just one digital audio cable, if that is easier

lisa

11. hermanmunster

hermanmunster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Exige 46 follow inzaman's advice.

In WinXP and MCE go to:

Start - Control panel - Sound and Audio devices - Advanced (in the Device Volume area) - Options - Advanced Controls

In there you will find a check box for Digital Audio out...enable it. :)

12. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Sounds like Exige46 is greyed out, can't switch it on in volume control.
    My Realtek AC97 is the same, its a driver bug.

13. dazzer123

dazzer123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well i am having a nightmare trying to get 5.1 sound out om my pc when watching dvd's via spdif stereo works fine 5.1 equals audio drop out's and video stutter i have tried ac3 filter and reclock with onboard soundmax audio, a gainward 7.1 soundcard and now a £60 audiotrak 7.1 card and still am getting load's of audio dropout's on 5.1 via spdif i am now wondering if analogue 5.1 from the audiotrak card using the 3.5mm to 2 phono cables maybe a better option any ideas.

14. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Just a question, but if you have tried all those cards are you sure its the PC with the problem? What are you using to amplify?

15. dazzer123

dazzer123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi i am using a Yamaha RX-V650 6.1 Receiver to amplify my sound from pc's spdif i have tried both electrical and optical cables to rule out a cable fault the amp appears to be fine standalone dvd players run 5.1 audio through it just fine to say i am miffed would be an understatement.

16. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I have the same amp on my TV setup, it works with my PC no problem. Can't be that, your gunna have to try the analogue input and see if that gets a squeak out of it.

17. dazzer123

dazzer123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I think that will have to be my next step I have run powermax utility on my Maxtor hd and done a full test and that says hd is ok, I have run memtest on my memory and that passes all tests, I have tried 2 different graphics cards 2 mainboards and 2 cpu's and still can not get 5.1 audio with out very bad stutter so I will try analogue.

18. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    Exige, did you get this working in the end?