• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Cant get sample rate higher than 44.1KHZ through dacmagic plus

tabrarg

Novice Member
Hi all,

This is my first post so go easy on me!

I have recently bought a Audio Cambridge DacMagic Plus to add to my HiFi setup (Cambridge Audio A&R A60 amp and Linn Kan speakers). I am going from optical audio out (tos?) on my Mac Pro into the dac and it works fine - the dac sounds absolutely amazing. However, the incoming sample rate on the dac never goes above 44.1KHZ despite the fact that the music I am playing is in 96KHZ or 88.2KHZ. At first I thought this may be a limitation of iTunes, but playing the same song through VLC makes no difference.. The dac still only see's it as 44.1KHZ. I know that Cambridge Audio have released a audio driver for Windows 7 but the manual for the DAC says that I should be able to play it without any drivers on the Mac..

Does anyone have any ideas?!

Thank you all in advance. :)

Guy

tabrarg

Novice Member
Incase anyone is interested you can either go to Applications > Utilities > Audio midi setup and set the format there to your desired kHz, or you can use a app like bit perfect (cheapest app i think) to do this.

I think with the format set to 96khz in audio midi setup iTunes will upscale your 44.1khz songs to 9.1khz (someone might be able to confirm?), so I have decided to stick with bit perfect as I want my dac to be doing all the upscaling, but still be able to play 88khz or 96khz files at their native sample rate.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Guy

tabrarg

Novice Member
Thanks for that larkone that's a great document, that pretty much clears up everything.

Although I have to say, I think I will stick with Bit Perfect at £7 vs pure music for £130! Amurra looked a lot better but it's still a fortune and it had to go the moment I realised it couldnt do gapless playback (properly).

Cheers

Guy

meduk1

What settings to you have bitperfect on? Do you tell it to upscale everything to the maximum your DAC can handle or output it at native?

tabrarg

Novice Member
I have it set to play everything as native as I want my dac to do all the upscaling (I hope it's going to do a better job of it than a £7 bit of software!) You can go into applications > utilities > midi audio settings and set a sample rate for your output there, if you do that itunes will upscale or downscale everything to match your specified sample rate.. So if all you want is upscaling you can just do that instead of paying for bitperfect.

Cheers

Guy

meduk1

Thanks - I'm looking at getting the DacMagic 100 which doesn't have upscalling, so was looking for something that would let itunes play native or upscale depending on what I liked the sound of. Will try this out over the weekend.

tabrarg

Novice Member
No Problem, it sounds like all you need to do is set your sample rate in midi audio settings and let itunes do the rest.

It's worth keeping an eye out on ebay for a DacMagic plus though - I was going to order the 100 like you but then I managed to get a mint DacMagcic Plus for £240 delivered. The cheapest I could find a DacMagic 100 for was £200 anyway so I figured I may as well go for it.

meduk1

Wow - good price! Sounds like you got a good deal. Yeah 200 is what I've seen the 100 at at RicherSounds.

I'm going to have a play around with the sample rate in the midi settings and see if that helps. Another benefit I was looking at with bit perfect was the ability to specify a separate audio output specifically for itunes, which (in theory) would let me output itunes audio via USB to a separate DAC, and other audio (mainly Plex movies) normally via HDMI.

tabrarg

Novice Member
Ah I see, yes it's good for that too but remember that works both ways - you cannot output the sound from VLC or any other software through bitperfect, only itunes. I have not tried the DacMagic over USB, I went with optical out from my mac pro as my dac is with my amp on the other side of the room and you get no signal loss with optical, so bare in mind that you can only go 10m over USB.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom