Can't get rid of PC from Finder's sidebar on Leopard.

James.1

Tonight I connected an old PC up to my network to get some files from it. At first it didn't show up in the Finder's sidebar, but after I did a "Connect to Server" and typed in "smb://IP Address" it appeared. The problem I have now is that it won't go away, even though the PC is no longer connected to the network. Any ideas on how I can get rid of it.

jont

Try the Finder prefs from Finder menu bar and de-select 'connected servers' ...

Jon

James.1

Thanks, but that would get rid of all servers and would only be hiding the problem and not fixing it.

The issue has resolved itself now anyway, when I connected to a Mac share the shared computer list must have refreshed as the PC has now gone and so too does the Mac when it goes offline.

Tenex

Distinguished Member
Somewhere around there is a button that you can put into Finder's title bar to force a refresh when clicked. I think it links to a small Applescript. Sorry its a bit vague but it was released just after Leopard shipped and I tried it in Tiger without realising it was OS specific at the time.

edit
found an all OS X one on VersionTracker here

HTH

James.1

Nice one Tenex. I'm unable to test it at the moment as I won't be connecting to a Windows box for the foreseeable future and right now I don't have the issue. Thanks for the help though, I really appreciate it.

roaster, that was the first thing I tried and it doesn't do anything.

Tenex

Distinguished Member
Happy to help - I wanted it for refreshing when large files are being created like iDVD projects etc. Finder doesn't refresh fast enough for me but I guess I'll live with it until I move permanently to Leopard.

James.1

I had a nosey at the AppleScript in this little App and I pulled it out and saved it so it can be triggered from the Script Menu. I doubt I'll ever need to use it so this way I don't have to see it all the time.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom