Can't get receiver to work in another room

kvoskou

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I’m trying to help my dad move his satellite box but not having much joy.

He has his receiver in his conservatory and the cable from the dish comes through the outside wall and straight into his receiver.

The TV aerial also comes in at the same spot, so he can watch digital TV through the aerial or switch over to the HDMI cable to watch satellite.

He’s always wanted to move the setup into the living room because the conservatory (or should I say the lean-to!) is always so cold in the winter.

I tried the following:

I connected his satellite and TV aerials to ‘in’ ports on a signal combiner/splitter (this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00L4D25B4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00 ) and connected the ‘out’ port to a spare cable that runs through the house and comes out under the stairs. From there the cable attaches to another existing cable which goes to the living room.

I then used another signal combiner/splitter to split back to two separate cables – one for TV and one for satellite.

That seems a fairly straightforward project to me, and yet I’ve found that the satellite receiver says ‘no signal’. I know the set up must be okay because the TV is getting the signal and all the digital TV channels are fine.

The only things I can think of that might be causing this are that either the existing cables aren’t good enough (they are bog standard TV aerial type cables), or that there are too many joins in the chain, but if this is the case why does the TV work? Is satellite signal much weaker than TV signal?

I looked for a satellite signal booster but they seem to be compatible with sky and my dad’s system isn’t sky (his system picks up Greek channels) and the only mains powered signal boosters I can find are in the TV frequency range, not satellite, though I did find an in-line booster (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Triax-Satellite-In-Line-Signal-Amplifier/dp/B004K7Z1SA/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1443889124&sr=8-7&keywords=satellite+booster )

The thing is I don’t know if a booster is what I need or whether there might be some other reason that the satellite signal doesn’t get to the receiver.

I can’t run new cables because everything’s buried under a wooden floor so I’ve got to work with what’s there already.

If anybody can help me to get this working I’d be very grateful.

Thanks,

Kyri.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I can’t run new cables because everything’s buried under a wooden floor so I’ve got to work with what’s there already.

Could be inferior cable, poor joints, cable too long or faulty diplexer. A process of elimination will tell you which one...

However, you'd do much better to run new decent cabling direct from the dish. Lift the floor or run the cable on the outside walls then drill a hole into the required room.

Try just sending the Sat signal down the existing cable, see if that works. If it does, disconnect it and try the Ariel cable, if both work on their own, I would go with what kevkbuk says, that there may well be a bad Diplexer.

That seems a fairly straightforward project to me, and yet I’ve found that the satellite receiver says ‘no signal’. I know the set up must be okay because the TV is getting the signal and all the digital TV channels are fine.
Not necessarily true. The sat LNB needs DC and low frequency AC signals from the sat receiver (rx) to to the LNB. Unless you have a sound DC path from the rx to the LNB, it won't work. Period. Not too many joins, but you have likely got a dodgy joint somewhere in your multiple runs of coax breaking the DC path.
The thing is I don’t know if a booster is what I need or whether there might be some other reason that the satellite signal doesn’t get to the receiver.
You probably don't need a booster unless you have a very long run of coax to the LNB. My guess would be as above and needs checking out.

Yes, new correct cable from dish to receiver with nothing between is the best answer.
Satellite TV is indeed different from terrestrial.

See #2!

So why repeat it? I was pointing out that the OP's assumption was incorrect. Because it works on terrestrial does not prove its OK for satellite.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom