1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't get PS2 Online

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Henders, May 23, 2005.

1. Henders

Henders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've set up a wireless network hub, and have connected a linksys game adapter to my PS2. I don't know the answers to the questions that need to be answered on the network disc, regarding PPPoE and DNS. I'm using BT Broadband. Any help would be appreciated as it is driving me up the wall.

EDIT: I've found some info on this site :http://uk.playstation.com/networkgaming/story.jhtml?storyId=300194_en_GB_GUIDES
    but i still don't know what i'm doing. I don't understand the following:

"1. Does your service provider support PPPoE?

Referring to Point to Point Protocol over Ethernet, this information should be provided by your ISP when you sign up for an Internet connection. If you are unsure about this, please refer to your ISP's support web site or the documentation given to you when you signed up. If you're using the Internet Connection Sharing connection type, select No here.

Username and password entry: If you answer Yes, you will need to supply the username and password that you use to connect to your broadband Internet connection. Use the virtual keyboard on screen to enter your details. Be careful to use the delete key on the virtual keyboard and not the analog controller's Triangle button, as that will take you back to the previous setup question.

2. Does your service provider support DHCP?

Referring to Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol, this information should be provided by your ISP when you sign up for an Internet connection. If you are unsure about this, please refer to your ISP's support web site or the documentation given to you when you signed up. If you're using the Internet Connection Sharing connection type, or a router that uses DHCP, select Yes here.

Enter your IP address manually: If you answer No, and your ISP does not support DHCP then it should be able to supply you with what IP address, netmask and gateway you should use. If you do not know these details, please contact your ISP for support.

3. Is DNS given automatically?

Referring to Domain Name System, this information should be provided by your ISP when you sign up for an Internet connection. If you are unsure about this, please refer to your ISP's support web site or the documentation given to you when you signed up. If you're using the Internet Connection Sharing connection type, select Yes here.

Enter your DNS servers: If you answer No, and your ISP does not give DNS automatically, you will have to enter which DNS servers to use. This information should be provided by your ISP. If you do not know these details, please contact your ISP for support. "

EDIT 2: If anyone is using BT Broadband, could you tell me what DNS number you use? is it the same for everyone? When i try to run the network diagnostics check, it fails at the DNS test. I'm currently using 192.168.1.1.

Cheers, Mark.

2. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    IP addresses starting with 192.168.x.x are reserved for local networks (i.e. equipment on your own LAN) I'm assuming that your router should be acting as your DHCP server and will also be providing your network with DNS support. You need to look at your router's settings for items such as DNS and DHCP server and then use those addresses in your PS2's network setup. *EDIT* in my case the DHCP and DNS settings are the local address of my router.

I'm afraid I can't advise you on the specifics of PPPoE or linksys equipment as I use cable broadband and a Buffalo WBR2-G54S wireless router.

Once you get all the right settings it should work.

S.

3. Henders

Henders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks very much for the reply, its all working now thanks to several helpful people on the BT helpline.

Cheers, Mark.