cant get picture on tv

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Starry, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Starry

Starry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi, I run a projector and tv through a splitter from my onkyo amp due to it only having one hdmi output.
    If im watching cable tv i can watch the picture on the tv and projector screen at the same time or either one on its own.
    My problem comes when i want to watch/play the ps3 on the tv screen alone, the projector plays it fine but the tv screen will not.
    If i try to play it then the sound comes out of the amp but no picture.
    the tv must be connected from the amp ok as cable tv is fine.
    It seems to want to play as it flickers sometimes and comes on for a split second, i thought it may be a faulty hdmi so changed them but it still does not work.
    It used to work fine until i fitted a 3dxl box but even if i remove the box now its still the same.
    Any ideas would be great as i'm stumpt.

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,228
    HDMI is complicated by HDCP (encryption) and EDID (capabilities reporting) – you can further complicate things if you use a 1x2 Distribution Amp (Splitter) that isn’t fully HDCP compliant on both Outputs and or you are Hotplugging cables (not powering kit off at the wall when you’re making any hardware changes).

Splitting the Output of AVR’s is not always easy to achieve – Onkyo AVR’s can be pretty fussy about the kit they are connected to.

Power everything Off at the wall, connect up the simplified system (no 3D processor) – once you have all cables in place repower the kit!

Assuming it all works now try putting things into/out of standby rather than Off at the wall – how does the system behave?

Joe

3. Starry

Starry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i am guilty of changing leads without always powering down properly every time. I will give your idea a go and post results.
    thanks Joe..

4. Starry

Starry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ok, ive tried turning it all of at the wall and taking the 3dxl out and re-booting it all but still no good.
    Any more thoughts? thanks.....

5. hoppaz

hoppaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Go to the video settings in your PS3 and only allow 720p (untick all others). Test to see what happens. If nothing untick 720p and go even lower in the resolution. If you do get an image at a lower resolution then the cable to the tv is at fault.

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,228
    Simplify the system a stage further - Source > 1x2 > Display devices (x2) and try again.

As before power off before you make any changes.

Joe