• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Can't get on live - IP address failing

• Thread starter Deleted member 380232
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 380232

Major peoblems getting online. Here's the situation

Have a Netgear router on Virgin Media modem. Am using homeplugs which take the broadband from the router to my kids bedroom. The other homeplug then plugs straight into the xbox in the bedroom.

When I first set this up it worked flawlessly first time and has been working for the last 2 months fine. All of a sudden - can't connect. IP address failed. It is set to automatic and is showing an IP address of 169.254.228.189 which is mince.

I have tried entering manual settings but still the same error comes up.

I also have an xbox downstairs plugging directly to the router and it works fine so it's not the router or my broadband

Any help? Please?

I have tried xboxlivetheguide.com and xbox.com help - no joy :mad:

D

Deleted member 380232

Should also say I have reset the homeplugs and think I have them setup correctly

Codehead

Distinguished Member
169.254.*.* is an APIPA address. That is it's dynamically created when DHCP is used and no server can be found. It's common on Win2K and up.

I take it it's a computer that's having the issue? Tried a reboot of the compy?

If that doesn't work, your DHCP server (probably the router in your setup) isn't giving an address out to the computer.

D

Deleted member 380232

No - it's my kids xbox which has the issue. It's at the other end of the homeplug

My computer is a Mac and is wireless - it's working fine. Mac and router have all been rebooted

Codehead

Distinguished Member
My computer is a Mac

I'm soooo sorry mate, I didn't know. :(

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Anyway, I didn't know the 360 used APIPA, but it's definatetly given itself an address 'cos it's bored of waiting for the router to provide one. Sounds like the home plugs might be at fault.

Can you take another machine up there? A laptop maybe? To test the network?

D

Deleted member 380232

Cheers - I could drag the mac through I suppose - will give that a go

Surely it's not the xbox! :eek:

D

Deleted member 380232

The mac doesn't work either - same problem with IP addresses

So somehow the router isn't getting through the homeplugs - this is annoying - think I'll just buy a wireless adaptor instead :suicide:

Codehead

Distinguished Member
I should say that I broke your net as punishment for Chuckrolling the GoW forum. :devil:

I've got no experience with homeplugs, but it does look like the router and xbox aren't seeing each other. Is there any way of checking the homeplug config?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 380232

yeah I think it is the hps

have reset the config 2 or 3 times - still not working - damnit

virtual22

Have you tried taking the homeplugs downstairs next to each other to see if this helps, then other sockets round the house mate? I have heard of these things failing because mobile phone charges are plugged in, surge protectors in use, ring main issues, all sorts.

D

Deleted member 380232

Now tried different sockets - same problem - really starting to annoy me as it was working fine the other day and I haven't touched anything

I now have a sad little 7 yr old who can't pwn n00bs on Halo :(

Morphies

You say you have multiple homeplugs kicking around?

Try a different one on that socket.

If that works, you know your plug has gone down.

You could also specifying an IP within the 360 dashboard, this will cut out the DHCP side of things.

D

Deleted member 380232

No just the 2 I have

I tried the manual settings - they didn't work either

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom