1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cant get my VCR to play through DAV 550

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by simoncav, Jan 9, 2003.

1. simoncav

simoncav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've installed a DAV-S 550 initially linked to an Epson video projector via an S-Video cable which plays DVD's perfectly. However I simply can't get either the VCR or the Satellite receiver unit to display through the DAV system. The VCR is attached to the Video 1 inbound through the supplied SCART converter block and the satellite box to the Video 2 inbound connectors. In despiration I've also connected the projector using the monitor out video cable but that only works for DVD as well - HELP!

Simon Cavill:(

2. stubags

stubags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Go to www.sony.co.uk, find the DAVS550 by going to the products, home cinema stuff, and you are presented with a screen that lists the features of the DAVS550. There is a link on the left hand side to 'connectivity information and diagrams'. Have a look at the ones which are labelled 'x - x - x - DAV - x'. I had a look at the first of these which as I suspected states that the s-video out presents only the dvd's picture.

I suspect that the DAV won't convert one standard to another and will only output the video sources received on the scart out or the composite outputs if it has them. If your projector has a composite input (i.e. a phono socket) or a scart input, then I suggest you get the appropriate lead and connect from the scart output on the DAV to the composite input on your projector. But look at the diagrams because as usual I am just guessing!

3. cadmeister

cadmeister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a DAV 550 and I'm afraid stubags is right - I use composite in for SKY and VCR and use the monitor out to watch. Svideo and composite are entirely seperate and the amp won't convert between the two.

Does your project accept component ? I have the component out going into my plasma and that reults in a stunning picture...

4. simoncav

simoncav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the responses. I'm very much a newbie at this AV stuff so bear with me...

My projector is fairly old (thats why I got it for nothing!) and is an Epson 3100 that has either S-Video or composite (single BNC) inputs.

I have connected both cables between the 550 and the projector (which can only handle one or other at a time) and both outputs work on the projector displaying the screensaver and playing DVD's. However, switching to either video1 or video2 simply results in a blank screen. I have connected the VCR and Sky receiver to the 550 using the diagram on page 23? of the 550 user manual.

Any thoughts?

Simon

5. stubags

stubags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again,

Well I don't have a projector at all yet so if you see another one for free.....

I thought that a BNC connector expected some kind of special input, not really the same as composite, but a computer signal of some kind via ethernet cable?

Presumably you are connecting the monitor out from your 550 to this. Monitor in this case refers to whichever source signal you have selected, and not a computer monitor signal.

I think you're going to be stuck unless you convert your video(coaxial composite out on the dav) into S-Video with an adaptor, and then plug the result of that into your projector's s-video socket, unless there's a way of getting compatibility with the bnc socket.

Presumably your video recorder is not an s-vhs model?? Mine is, and it will happily convert from normal sources into S-VHS.

I'm sure you can get a reasonably priced converter from somewhere like lektropacks (but not them because I've just checked).

Does your satellite box offer svhs out? Probably not, just RGB and composite.

6. stubags

stubags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having just seen some diagrams on connection of a plasma screen, it looks to me like BNC should take composite in theory.
    When you are trying to get this to work, are you just connecting the one piece of equipment to the projector at a time, only initially it would be best to do this to see what really works? i.e. disconnect the s-video cable just in case the projector sees this and ignores the other connection.

Is there a menu option with the projector to select between the two sources of signal? Is the 550 set to output composite from its scart when you connect it to the BNC input on the projector?

7. simoncav

simoncav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your helpful response. I have now got things working, having found out the the supplied Sony Scart convertor is for output only. Changed it for a switchable unit and everything works fine through Video 1 including the VCR which is SCART attached to the Sky Digi box (Panasonic), although I need to test if it will record from the sat box.

As discussed before my projector only has either composite (single RCA plug), computer VGA plug or S-Video connectors. Video 1 only outputs via composite and the picture quality is not so hot with small glitches appearing halfway across the screen when theres a lot going on. Can you output everything from the DAV 550 (DVD and video 1) via the component output in your setup? If so would it be possible to get a component to S-Video convertor (or would a convertor to the VGA link be better?)

As always, all advice appreciated...

Simon Cavill

8. cadmeister

cadmeister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Simon,

Only DVD outputs component so I'm afraid you are fairly stuffed. I tried to look up info on your projector but couldn't find anything useful. There is a box called a ProV that does some conversion and outputs via VGA but I have not seen one myself and I read mixed reviews - I saw one for sale in the classifieds last week. There £150 ish new.

Though I don't know the projector, it sounds lilke it's a commercial presentation type thus the lack of inputs, in which case you won't be getting a great picture to start with as it's not designed for AV use. One thing you might want to try is feeding an output of a laptop (borrowed ?) playing a DVD out to the VGA input to see what sort of image you are going to end up with if you do sort it all out.