1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't get my new Panasonic S97 to work with 32pf9986 tv !!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by colinw, Mar 15, 2005.

1. colinw

colinw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Ok i need some help here, i just got my S97 today and i cannot get the component outputs to work with my philips 32pf9986 tv firmware version 2.0. While i'm in the dvd player setup menu via rgb scart, as soon as i select component out i loose the menu !!! obviously because there is no rgb out now, but when i go dvi input on the tv all i ever get is "picture format unavailable" on the screen ??

The tv came with a dvi male to component female which i am using with a pair of phono leads at the moment.

It says in the manual to turn off hdmi video out to use component outputs which is what i done.

All i'm trying to do is see this progessive scan working.

What am i doing wrong. Help.....

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The output on the player has to be set to output Progressive Scan. Use a proper component lead as you need all three components...

Jimmy

3. colinw

colinw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    hi jimsan,

There is no Progressive Scan setting on the player though ?

i am using all three connections.

i must be going mad i think, because the menu on the player is very basic so you can't go wrong really, except in my case.

colin....

4. colinw

colinw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Jimsan,

version 2.0 firmware on the tv should support proggesive scan, should'nt it ??

5. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The 9986 will only play Progressive Scan signals via its DVI/Component input. But I think we are missing something here...the Panny is a pure digital player isn't it? ie it should output directly to the DVI input from its own digital output (DVI/HDMI) If it does this it will definitely output Progressive Scan.

I'll check out the Pannys connectivity and get back to you.

Jimmy

OK, checked it out. You can connect it 3 ways to the 9986.

1. RGB scart.

2. Component to Component. The Panny does output Progressive Scan, so you'll have to find how to activate this in the menu. Ensure your component connections are correct. What colours are the connectors on the adapter that came with the 9986? Get back to me on this.

3. HDMI to DVI. You'll need an HDMI/DVI cable for this - not cheap, £20-£30. This is the purest connection available, but the one that has been giving some folks some trouble. You'll also need a standard Phono/Phono lead for audio hook up with this connection.

You have a serious bit of AV kit, so you'll need to hook it up properly and spend some time getting it all working at its best.

Good Luck.

Jimmy

6. colinw

colinw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi Jimsan,

Thanks for your help and quick reply, i'm sorry about all this but i'm new to this side of things. You was right earlier, i only had to set the player to proggesive out, but it did'nt seem to be in the manual, or i could'nt find it anyway.

So after setting it to component out, and going back to the main screen, i only had to press display on the remote, then display mode, then 625 / p.

I feel like a right plonker, what should have took 5 mins took me all evening with stress and panic.

I should have a hdmi to dvi cable by tomorrow evening, a friend of mine is getting me one, so i'll look forward to some artifacts :)

Again thanks for all your help.

Cheers Colin....